• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you say Cold Front!?

Tough conditions up north this weekend. We picked the smallest lake we could find Sat aft (Little Wolf) and still the wind was outrageous. We knew we weren't in Kansas anymore. Up to 40-50 mph winds. Hunter managed to catch a 36" and I lost one, both trolling over open water. Very exciting getting the Ranger on the trailer with the wind blowing right in behind. If Hunter didn't hit the bunks I thought it would've ended up in the back of the Suburban - even in neutral!

The Ranger confirmed for me that we made a great choice if we were going to continue to fish muskies, and be able to do it better, more efficiently, and safer. Would not have dared take the Lund out that day.

Yep, put in at the resort, decent setup, they have a few pics of some nice fish caught in that lake. We've fished it twice now, and Hunter has caught fish both times.

I'll say it was a [PoorWordUsage] of a cold front. We didn't even put the boat in this weekend. Oh well, the good news is we finished most of the work on the cabin so we can fish at a later point (it is now 4 bedrooms 1 1/2 bath, a month and a half ago it was a 2 bedroom 1/2 bath). I did spend 10 minutes after dinner with the flyrod when the wind died down for a bit Saturday night. Caught a 14" bass on a popper that goes about 1/32nd ounce. Couldn't believe it hit something that small.

I agree the wind has sure made things interesting. I didn't fish saturday as I had a little family reunion, but fished a marathon on Sunday. I did something I've never done before and that is, put in on the west end of Lake Alexander and drifted the entire length, west to east. It took about 7 hours. Given the passing front and the high sky/big wind, I was surprised how the fish cooperated. We caught three muskies, and missed a fourth one. Also caught a pile of pike and bass. Wind was annoying at times as we couldn't even hear each other talking, but with our backs to it and drifting, it was tolerable. More kudos for Ranger boats...it handled the big wind just fine, although I don't think it would have been any fun at all being out on Mille Lacs!