• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Canoe Lakes-Walleye Crappie

I was hoping someone could give me a lead on a good walleye and/or crappie lake that is within a one hour drive of the Twin Cities. To be specific I would prefer a small lake with no public boat landing or no motorized boats allowed and therefore not many other fisherman. One of those lakes you can drop your canoe in and start pulling up wallys and crappies. I know these types of lakes are usually close guarded secrets and not many are willing to share, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

To be specific I would prefer a small lake with no public boat landing or no motorized boats allowed and therefore not many other fisherman. One of those lakes you can drop your canoe in and start pulling up wallys and crappies.

If you know of one of those don't post it on here......just kidding, you can email it to me.

Seriously, its kinda like finding a unicorn.

There are many great fishing lakes in the metro that are for non-motorized only, but some of the best ones are actually in the city limits like Calhoun, Harriet and especially Nokomis.

I have found that all/most of the lakes here in the metro have pretty good fishing in them. If you have a canoe or other boat and can get away from shore the fishing is usually pretty good.

I find the DNR assessments pretty helpful, but I recommend just going to the closest lake to you and getting to know it. The Minneapolis chain of lakes are great, you can't really go wrong, although I find they get a little slower in the summer. Kayak Angler magazine featured Calhoun as one of the best places to go for after work fishing in their spring issue. I have found Nokomis to be pretty slow this year.

One thing to also think about is some of the great river fishing that we have somewhat close by. You won't get into the walleyes and crappies as much as the smallmouth, but you cant really beat a trip down one of the great rivers around here.

In addition to these helpful tips, I'd suggest pounding the DNR Lakefinder for a few days in search of small lakes in the metro. Some of these gems are stocked, some are not, but those with no motors allowed & a little depth are generally good fishing.

Many have crappies, those with walleye are fewer, but they're out there.

The MN DNR FIN program provides some pretty small lakes and ponds that are stock by the DNR. However remember these waters are for the benefit of kids who can be introduced to the fun of fishing. C&R is fine but try restraining yourself from keeping a catch to help maintain the FIN program for everyone to enjoy.

This year alot of the lakes/pond suffered from fishkill during the past winter. So fishing isnt as good as it was last year. The DNR has already restarted the stocking program into these waters.

Bring a kid fishing and let them enjoy the fun too.