• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at buying a boat.

Hermy Wormy

Question

Hey guys, (and gals)

I am looking to buy a boat, however I was wondering if it is the same process as buying a car? I was looking at buy a used boat from a private party. Now, my question is... do boats have titles, what do I need to do to register it... any helpful hints would be great.

BTW. I am a Wisconsin Resident.

Thanks,

Hermy

3 answers to this question

and what if the previous owner lost the title and registration?

Make them get it before you buy it. It's a pain, they have to go to the DNR to get it and it can take some time. Went through it before. They should have their titles ready before they put it up for sale. If they feed you the bull that you can just take a bill of sale in, don't buy into it. Just make them get the registration for the boat and the title for the trailer and then you can transfer no problem.