• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hello,

I need some help. I am heading to the Barnes area next weekend to the inlaws cabin. It is not on a lake, but I hear there are many lakes in the area. I Have never been in the area. I did a little research and it looks like the Eau Claire chain is one of the larger options. I mainly fish walleye, but will bring the panfish stuff for some action. I dont anticipate doing any serious fishing smirk.

What are some of my options for lakes, species,tactics, and how are the boat landings? I have a 18.5 foot Ranger walleye boat.

Any help is appreciated, Matt

Used to fish on Upper a bit a few years back. Very clear water though so wallies were deep during the day and few between. An early AM or evening bite might be a better bet. Upper has decent bass population though, muskies, and a few pike in my experience. We had some decent pike action where the river exit/entrance is on the west side, weed beds, on spinners. Bass in/around the weeds on spinners and those plastic crawfish rigs.

I concentrated on eliminating the rustys on upper - see avatar!

I beleive Middle is better for the walleyes but no first hand knowledge there. Would like to get down that way to fish again.

Take Lake road east off #27 to Island rd and there is a boat launch there off the peninsula (as of 5years ago). I think there are signs as you go south on 27. Maybe the DNR site will have info.

Good weather, good luck!

For big 'eyes, upper is hard to beat. But it can be a tough nut to crack. Sand grass edges and new weed growth is key with rigs or jigs.

But, if you looking for multiple fish, Middle is a good bet. Fish can be found numerous spots, but I would key in on the 15 to 18 foot ranges right now.

Been Fishing the Eau Claire chain since 1970. Unless conditions are right cloudy windy raining or foggy do not fish Upper or Bony during the day. They are extremley clear with over 20 foot seechi disk reading's. On Middle or Lower you can catch walleyes on weed lines or cribs bobber fishing or jigging. These lakes are infested with rusty crayfish so finding weeds is a problem. They changed the panfish limits down to 10 for these lakes because of the lack of fishiable populations of panfish. Any of these lakes are a good bet if you like to troll rapalas at night for walleye. Make sure to read posting at boat landings for limits on each lake. These lakes also have high populations of smallmouth.

Good luck

Mwal