• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clear ice vs snow covered ice

Sod Farmer

Frequently lakes have areas of snow free ice where the wind has blown away the snow. These areas have to allow more light below the ice than the snow covered areas. Do fish relate to the light or is this not a factor.

[This message has been edited by Sod Farmer (edited 01-01-2004).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Fish do indeed relate to the light differances. The light differance in effect creates a breakline.

Especially if it relates to good bottom structural elements or other types of breaklines. Breaks on Breaks (spots on sposts) can be some of the best fishing areas there are.

Forage presence is the key here.

I believe that fish relate to the edges of snow-free spots. There have been numerous times in the past when fishing walleyes where spots that are wind blown and snow free attract fish. I've had great success punching holes on the edges of the snow close to snow-free ice. Holes closer to the clear ice out produced holes away from the clear ice. Especially for daytime walleyes. If found this to be the case on Lake of the Woods, Cass Lake, and several Metro lakes as well. This is very effective in shallow clear water too, because the snow acts as a "blind" between you and the fish.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I have a theory on this as well, on a local lake that produces beautiful 'gills during the day and nice crappies in the evening, I find that as the sun goes down, I have to move with the sunset line. The 'gills seem to relate to the brighter sunlit spots, and die off as soon as the entire lake is dark. Odd and consistently the same. 20 yards in-front of the sunset is the best bite. I have also noticed a few times that crappies bite better under thicker snow during the day.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]