• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin 12

Question

Rob, BE here again, with yes more GPS questions. Thought we were past that EH?

What is your take on the Garmin 12 vrs the Explorer 2?

I understand the Garmin 12 is not waterproof?

And if so are there good user friendly waterproof case's that are applicable to this unit?

I also like the plot back feature on the Garmin an it's 500 way point storage.

Is the 12 PC friendly for exchange of info with compatible software?

Ya, I'm a pain, I know it.

grin.gif

Thank's Rob!

BE...><,,>

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
"ED ON THE RED"
1-701-671-3079

18 answers to this question

Yo, thanks for the feedback Bodyman.

I took the jump and bought the Garmin 12, it was a good deal with the extras I managed with it. I need the interphase patch yet but other than that I have the rest. Patch cord runs about $35 and than I can get the Garmin downloads of there site.

Have you checked out there maps on there site by region, the Canada maps were great!

Now I get to go figure this new one out, hope I don't get lost?

grin.gif

BE....><ND>

Hey Eddy ,
You will like the garmin 12 . I've been running one of those for years. not totally waterproof tho. I've soaked a couple of them and the warranty has been second to none. I havent had any troubles with this current one in 3 years. I find it alot easier to run than the lowrance/eagle stuff also. Remember to start a logbook! gets to be alot to keep track of.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller 218-962-3387
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
http//wwwebresults.com/fishmn/pinetoprairie

Glad to hear you made the jump Eddy. I'm sure you'll like the 12. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I can put in way points from a paticular map with longitude and latitude lines on it. There has to be a measuring rule for this. I have a map with the structure, holes,breaks, bars, ect.. but trying to figure the exact way point for any of them has me scratcing my head. Back to school I guess.. What a guy won't do for a few loner hot spots. :-) good fishing

hey B.E.. I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex. It has most of the features of the 12 and less of a price tag. It is water proof and holds 500 way points. It is also pc friendly in that it will hook up to your pc serial port for upgrades on it's software. And it will use most of the software programs offered by Garmin and others. Outside of the road map feature, which I don't need in a GPS. It has a track back feature that is extremely accurate, having tested it a few times will driving on the roadway. Along with that, it's very easy to use and understand. Take a look at it before you purchase the 12.

That 12 is a cool little unit EH!

The Track Back feature is incredibly acurate. I ran up the Boise De Sioux a few miles and into a creek arm marking some reference points last night. On the Track back it was dead on I could drive without my lights and watch the screen and be on target, that impressed me.

I was also wondering were to enter a predetermined way point, that is the next function to figure out I guess? I think you can just need to find the sequence because you can change most everything else?

Paul what menu would I look for to enter a longitude and latitude designation? I have the manual on floppy disc I guess I could read the darn thing EH?

LOL

Paul is your software 4.53 on the startup screen & do you have the PC patch cord? They offer a 12 to 12 field parch cord to I see. I need to get one and I am also trying to scrounge up the software for the PC log book packet. They are more than the darn 12 was, darn extra's!

I did find a waterproof case on line that looks good for the job, although they do claim the 12 is now waterproof, I think more like water resistant. If nothing else a heavy duty ZIP-Lock will do the job well enough for me.

Thank's for the feedback guys!

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

"ED ON THE RED"
1-701-671-3079

try this site, www.esg.montana.edu/gl/usa.map
You can point to a spot on the map and get the gps coor, click on one of the coor.in the list and then from there move your way around till you find where you want to be then click the spot for the #s,you can also zoom in on an area to get more precision, Have fun..

Hay Bodyman, a couple of my best fishing bud's are the head of the Auto Body Tech Dept. here at NDSCS. Jim Johnson & Jim Erdahle are both top notch fisherman and great guys.

Jimmy John and I fished the Cat's on the Red Classic in Canada last August. It was Jimmy's first cat trip and he averaged 22 lb. channels, he was quick to say hay ED these critters put up a bit of a fight EH, LOL. We had a blast and finished way better than I expected considering the international composition from 3 continents with 50% of them guide-pro's, some tough guys to go up against.

Just seen you were a body man and thought you may want a contact in the ND/SD/MN area with similar interests. Email me and I can give ya Jimmy J's email is you wish?

BE.....><ND>

[email protected]

B.E.
Glad to hear you joined the ranks of GPS users. Garmin makes a good unit.

Bodyman
Make a clear plastic overlay for your map sized to the Lat/Lon grid, similar to the one available for the Walleye Wiffer map. It makes if real easy to get the hours and min for a waypoint. That will get you relativly close, then fine tune it when you find the spot of structure you are looking for.

Rob

Rob there used to be water tight floating case's avalable somewhere that were handy. I had one but don't remember were I found it?

You have any thoughts on it?

BE...><ND>

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

"ED ON THE RED"
1-701-671-3079

I have a Garmin 12XL and love it! I had heard that the government was supposed to take off the military error factor so that our GPS's would be accurate to within 2'. Did that already happen, or does anyone know when this is scheduled?

Thanks for the tip on "averaging" BE! I was using that as I was told originally that that was the best way to save a fixed point. I'll try it without averaging the next time!

I don't use my GPS as much as I would like since I don't get out enough. It really saved the day 2 years ago on Leech during the opener when we were fogged in. I'm not sure about your question about putting in coordinates for a set point. I've put in the long/lat coordinates from the Walleye Whiffer map while driving up to Mille Lacs and it seemed to work great. If that's what you want to do, one way is:
1. hit Mark to mark your current position
2. save it
3. select that waypoint, and then go through and highlight and change each field that you want.

Hope that's what you need!

"Mr.Big Dave is right"
Whew, thought BE was starting to call me Mr. Big Dave wink.gif

Thanks for the tip on averaging BE, I never read up on it.

Mr. Big's got the right idea on how to save a predetermined waypoint.

Mr.Big Dave is right the satellite limitations that were in place by the military were broadened a little over a year ago now.

I am NO GPS expert by any stretch of the imagination but the topic is one I am researching to build some skill's. One point that may interest you Mr.Big is that averaging feature built into the Garmin 12XL and many other GPS units was designed to compensate for this intentional misalignment of the signal. Now with the signal not manipulated it is best to not use the averaging feature. By de-selecting this from the menu you increase accuracy and rely on the satellite's to zero in directly on the desired target. I recently read up on this on the Garmin web site and had also discussed this with Rob, who I find to be up on all things electronic. Rob really knows his stuff!

You may already know this but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Any tip's on GPS you may have please feel free to clue me in, I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks

BE...><ND>

Eddy, I have the 3.53 software in mine. I havent bought a patchcord ar any accessories. Almost too complicated already! Glad I read my destructions before I started. Actually the garmin is soo easy once ya get the hang of it. I find I use the highway page alot. I started using Loran c navigation years ago, the garmin was a snap!

------------------
Paul Rohweller 218-962-3387
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
http//wwwebresults.com/fishmn/pinetoprairie

B.E.
The best case I have seen is called a Cell Saver. It is a water resistant case that looks similar to the tubes used at a bank drivethru. They are bright yellow with a foam padding inside.

Rob