• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain Gear

I am going to ak for the first time in july for 3 days salmon and 2 days barn door fishing. I am trying to find out what would be the best rain gear to bring along. I really dont know what to expect. Should I go with some nylon/gortex type stuff or some pvc variety?? I do plan to layer under for warmth. I would like to get everyting I need on a carry on since I am staying in a cabin w warsher/dryer so packing might be an issue.

Just looking for some advise from those with experience. Thanks SM1

When i lived in Minnesota I wore Cabela's guidewear all the time. My first fly out hunt up here i regretted having my guide wear as once it gets soaked it gets heavy and bulky, and does not dry in the field. My advice is get a good pair of Helly Hanson raingear for on the boat. If you want a great pair of rain gear for fishing AND hunting get the Helly Hanson Impertechs. You will still sweat in it, but with poly pro gear on underneath that stuff dries out well at night in your bag, and you always wake up to dry raingear.

Buy Helly Hanson, there is a reason we commercial fisherman wear it.

fisherman; good advice, but he's just doing a couple days fishing in July:) SM1, bring what you have, or buy any decent rain gear you'll use here.(NOT PVC though) July in AK is warm, I don't use anything different than my normal raingear. Which is several different gortex/goretex knock-off lightweight/breathable types. You can always wear a sweater underneath, and it packs easily/light. I took a pair of heavy 5mm neoprene chest waders the first time I went to AK years ago and 'bout died from overheating...

Agreed...HH makes a great product. I just meant he wouldn't need to buy new if he had servicable raingear already. A lot of folks think AK is so extreme, where as June/July on the peninsula is pretty much like here in MN, although pretty wet sometimes in later July from my experience.

Alaska is not extreme in the summer. Not until fall and winter is it extreme, and then it can turn deadly very quickly. Traveler have you ever been on a fly out, or done a float trip, or any bush fishing? If not you should give it a try.

222; weve done a couple flyouts to the Nush, Chuit, Wolverine. All big fun. Love to do a float trip, but the makeup of my parties has never been right for it. Hopefully one of these years. We hoped to be coming up this year and were going to try Kodiak for the first time, but that fell through. Have you been over there? Was it worth the trip. Any (moderatly) easy floats you'd recommend, concentrating mainly on kings?

I did Kodiak for silvers once, it is an incredible silver fishery. If your looking for a king float look out of bethel. Call Wade Renfro's Alaskan Adventures. I have flown with him quite a bit and he is a buddy of mine, GREAT guy and will go out of his way to make sure your happy and satisfied.

I tend to like the kusko tributaries myself, but they are the ones i have the most experience on. The Kiseralik is an INCREDIBLE float, and King fishing on the Kenektok and the Kwethluk would be second to none. THe Goodnews is also a good float but a bit more crowded. I have not done a float fishing trip, we just head out by boat 6-7 hours from bethel up a trib to some good fishing grounds.

The two rivers i would float for first for fishing would be the kwethluk or the kenektok, fewer people on the kwethluk. Last July we did a 2 day trip up the kwt by boat and 3 of us caught and released over 100 kings to give you an idea of the fishing. I won't even bother fishing the Kenai Pen, why battle people when you can have the river to yourself smile

Thanks for the river suggestions 222. I'm sure I'd have the same opinion of the KP if I lived up there! But it's still easy to get to and can offer some great fishing if you adjust your expectations/attitudes:) How did you end up in Bethel?