• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jackplate

bassNspear

I know alittle bit about them, but not a whole lot.

What are your comments about having jackplates, good and bad! How do you guys know where to set yours so the boat rides the best

Thanks for the information

i had a hyd. one on my 18 ft. ranger, and loved it. it was only a six inch, but it allowed me another option for tuning/ballancing the rig. i played with the settings til i found the sweet spot for the boat, plus very handy in skinny water. del

I have a 10" hydraulic plate. I like it. Great for hole shot in shallow water and running in shallow water. It also adds the 10" to the ride so my 20' boat rides more like a 21'. May not seem like much but does make a difference. Just my two cents. Good Fishing!!

Lots and lots of experimentation, and a close eye on the water pressure gauge...

Also, handling comes into play - if you're running full tilt with the motor raised up all the way you can get some chine walking, etc to be aware of.

Do you have a foot throttle in that new hot rod? If you're planning on getting a jack plate, I'd strongly consider it. Running a high performance boat is something to attempt a little at a time, and having a foot throttle makes it a bit easier.

Good luck!

marine_mna

Like others have said, it allows for tuning the engine height a lot easier. As MM said, keeping an eye on water pressure is key. Is one needed, not really. I would say if you fish a lot of rivers its more needed.(Shallow water)

The biggest advantage is probably hole shot.