• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gills vs. crappies

maxing45

Crappies. They spawn earlier and in cooler water temperatures than bluegill. Both can be found shallow this time of year looking for the first secondary production of the year (invertebrates, zooplankton, etc.). Peak crappie spawning may be a little later than usual this yera. Water temperatures broke 50 F this week so we're getting closer, in fact if the forecast wasn't for cold and rain I'd say hitting that 50 degree mark should trigger pre-spawn activities. But I believe water temperatures will cool once more.

Like has been said, both will be found shallow right away looking to feed in the traditional shallow, dark bottomed bays where the water temp rises the fastest and soonest. After the initial feeding binge, crappies prepare and spawn first followed by the gills. Just talking about it gets me excited!! grin.gif

Oftentimes its the runty gills that seek out shallow water first, then you'll see the slabs move in. The window can be short-lived, but the largest crappies in the system may use the shallow water at one point. Water clarity plays a huge roll, as does air/water temps early on. A very warm spring can cause this activity to move faster and last shorter.

48 degrees is usually a measuring point for me to start looking towards the shallows. Some lakes take 50-51 degrees, but generally a nice 48 degree cut will hold fish when the surrounding lake is a blistery low 40's...

Tommy,

I spent all morning chasing down crappies \:\) Took the Mrs out on the water and had a field day on the slabs. Also managed a dandy hybrid gill, one of the bigger fish I've seen on the Chisago chain in a few years. All fish came on a 1-inch Berkley white tube on a 1/32oz jighead. Very aggressive fish, tough to beat those kamikazee slabs! \:\)

I would like to make a trip out your way and bang up on those fish. I bet they're going hot and heavy right now...

Baitfish or tiny pannies will often seek shallow water first but it's the Crappies that really move in while the larger pannies are still at depths. Once the pannies move in however catching them papermouths are going to be more difficult as the pannies are so pesky and persistent on feeding and spawning.

I oftentimes find my largest crappies holding off the break in slightly deeper water. If they do move shallow, its to find food, not to stake claim on spawning grounds. The larger crappies will spawn out off the break... we still have some time before that happens...

I've also been finding a lot of better size gills out in the 10-15 feet of water over barren flats. Any sort of rubble has been a gold mine for gills...