• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil spot removal from driveway

Not sure with the asphalt, but the ones on concrete, get a couple cans of some good brake cleaner and a rag, spray and wipe up. If they are real big spots, you might want to get a cleaner made for it and scrub it with a broom.

I use brake or carb cleaner, too, then cover the spot with oil dry and let that sit. Clean up the oil dry and scrub with Borax (laundry additive) and rinse. You may have to hit it a couple times.

When I used to rent a house years ago, my wife dropped a container of used cooking oil all over the front side walk during the winter time and it sat until the next summer (when I found out about it). Before we moved out, I had to take care of that stain and quick. I used bleach on a nice sunny day. After a couple applications, the stain was not even noticeable. I have heard gas and brake cleaners are good to use also, but use caution when using flammables. The down side to using these items is if you sealed the concrete, these items will remove sealers when used. This some times can look worse than the stain.

Now, on my sealed floor in my shop when oil has leaked out and seeping down below the sealer, I have had good luck using the oil absorbent pads and just laying them on the area for a couple weeks. Seems like these pads act like a wick and suck up the oil residue from down in the concrete. Results may very though.

Now on tar, best thing is to reseal and use a board to prevent further issues. If some one who comes over to you house or lives in your house with a leaking vehicle, make them park out on the street or over a board with their name on it grin.gif.

I used regular dawn dishsoap, to remove most of the stain, and the guy who seal coated my driveway added some other stuff, just put it on before he seal coated, and I could never tell it was there.