• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CF Cards-Where to buy?

I have already searched hsolist,and to be honest,some prices seem almost to good to be true. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking at the 4-8 GB Extreme 3,but am very open to other suggestions/brands. Also,Dan or Steve mentioned some batteries that were good alternatives to the Canon stockers-jog any memories? As usual, I'm not asking for much-just the best quality at the cheapest price. grin.gif

A company called Stirling Tek makes BP-511's that I've had good luck with at a fraction of the cost. Careful on CF cards - some are knock-offs made in ??China?? that look almost the same but are of inferior quality.

Originally Posted By: finnbay
A company called Stirling Tek makes BP-511's that I've had good luck with at a fraction of the cost. Careful on CF cards - some are knock-offs made in ??China?? that look almost the same but are of inferior quality.

Actually, it's Sterlingtek. Sorry to correct you Ken, but he may have a hard time finding the site without the correct spelling. ;\) As far as CF cards go, I believe all the Sandisk cards are made in China, including the genuine ones. I got my last one, a 4gb Extreme 3, from Amazon. There is a way to tell the difference between the genuine ones and the knockoffs. Just do a google for "fake sandisk", and you'll find the link. There is a way to tell from the picture of one.

My last few also were bought through Amazon, they had some good deals going, not sure about right now. Roberts Distributers in Indianapolis, has some good deals going as well. The new Ducati's are on sale, thought I don't know if you need that kind of speed. I do know that SanDisk has some mail in rebates into the summer.

I have a few of the Extreme III's in 4G size and a bunch of the Extreme IV's in 2G size. The best deals that I have run across are in in the Extreme III's.

I must have 4 or five sets of the Sterlingtek batteries and I think they are better than the original Canon batteries. X got the name right!

Also, when you order a Sandisk Extreme 3, you receive a free program for restoring lost or deleted files from your camera. That program alone was worth the price of the memory card. It doesn't come with the Ultras, just the Extremes.

Quote:
Actually, it's Sterlingtek. Sorry to correct you Ken

No prob, Mike. I'm up to my ears in grad announcements and graduation collages and just check the board when I have something loading. That's the best my mind could come up with amid the confusion! grin.gif

I only ever use SterlingTek batteries now.

I just bought two SanDisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards from Canoga Camera (came yesterday), and paid $59.99 each, but there's a $20 factory rebate, so it'll be $80 for the two cards total.

Considering we were paying about $100 per Gb for top cards as little as four years ago, $10 per Gb seems utterly amazing. Not to mention, prices for supplemental hard drives with USB2 or firewire connections are hitting the basement.