• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adoption

Well, wasn't sure where to post this. I thought the womens might be the best spot. A lot of you know (I've talked about it alot) that my wife and I adopted a baby girl two years ago and brought her home for Christmas that year. It is unbelievable how much these little monkeys on acid change your life. I always loved kids, but having her changed me a lot and all I think about is how she is and her future.

My wife and are a looking into adopting more. We heard about MN Waiting Children. These are children that have been removed from their homes and are up for adoption. Hennepin and Ramsey county each have a program where they pay for your adoption if you adopt any of these children (our adoption cost around 23 thousand so we don't have the money to do it again that way). We were so happy to find out about this route and I just wanted to share with anyone out there in FM land that didn't think they could afford to adopt a child.

I also wanted to know if anyone has adopted any waiting children. I know a few of the older ones have some issues. Lets face it, most of these kids have faced more in their short lives than a lot of us ever will. To me, kids are kids and I think if you show them love and support they will be just fine. Will it take work? Sure, but how is that not worth it.

Has any other FMr's gone through a form of adotion? As I've met people since we've adopted, it surprises me to find out how many people either were adopted themselves or have adopted. I love hearing stories. I encourage anyone who can't have child to look into adoption. Not only does it help a child who may otherwise not have hope, but it enriches your life so much I can't even describe it. I put a couple of pics of my baby Lizzy just to show her off.

Helping to put up the Christmas Tree!! Gotta love the Fro! \:D

Elizabeth0111-23-07.jpg

Had to get her a playhouse.

Elizabeth179-19-07.jpg

Spooktacular!!

Elizabeth0810-31-07-1.jpg

1st time fishin' with Dad from Shore. Also my Avatar. ;\)

Elizabeth066-4-07-1.jpg

My little Diva. grin.gif

Elizabeth0112-02-07-1.jpg

Gettin' ready for a wedding. Thank God it's not her's!!!! mad.gifcry.gif Never gonna be ready for that.

Elizabeth327-20-07.jpg

I commend you Shane for having an open mind and adopting a "non-traditional" child. She is absolutely adorable and someday I hope to meet her and her special daddy at an event. My husband was an adopted child, one of five siblings that were all adopted separately. He knows his brother, but does not know where his three sisters are. We never had children of our own (long story) maybe because I knew deep down inside I wasn't the matronly type. Cherish that little girl and give her a million good memories, I get very jealous when I read of all the daddies doing things with their kids. I don't have those kind of memories, kids are special and I hope it works out for you to adopt another.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Lisa, I don't see myself as a hero. To be honest, it was selfish on our part as well. We wanted children and couldn't have them so we adopted. Maybe that means helping out a child in need at the same time but she's just may daughter and I would do anything for that little girl.

Quote:
I commend you Shane for having an open mind and adopting a "non-traditional" child. She is absolutely adorable and someday I hope to meet her and her special daddy at an event.

Lambjm, at first we weren't sure about getting a 100% black child. We weren't sure how to deal with them as they got older and us being white we thought it may be an issue. As we went to classes, it just didn't matter much. Lizzy is biracial but the next child we are looking at getting will more than likely be Black. Once they are your children, you see nothing but your child and it's opened my eyes a lot. You will meet her as when she's old enough she will be with me always.

Quote:
My husband was an adopted child, one of five siblings that were all adopted separately. He knows his brother, but does not know where his three sisters are.

This is why I made this post. Since we've adopted I have met so many poeple who have adopted or have been adopted and it's so great to hear how these kids turn out. You know it is never too late to look into an adoption. Going through the process we are now there are people from all ages looking at adopting a waiting child.

Another reason I made this post to let people know there are so many options to adopt a child. I would be willing to help anyone out with questions as well if you want to email me. I've heard poeple say it wouldn't be the same as having a biological child but I would beg to differ. I don't know what it's like to have a biological child but I can tell you that the second that little girl was put in my arm was unbeleivable. I couldn't imaging feeling any better or any more thrilled than if it was our biological child. Besides, I doubt I could have made a baby girl that dang cute!! blush.gif

Just to add a bit to Sandman's post... I have an adopted sister, and am my nephew's Godfather. I also have two stepkids (and their spouses), and from them have 5 grandkids. 2 of the grandkids are not even blood related to my wife. Plenty of Brady-Bunching going on wink But the main point is that while I don't have biological kids, there is no way my Grandkids could be any more "mine" and you are right, the moment they are in your arms is the best thing in the world, regardless of where they came from.

And for all the parent's, wait until Grandkids, hehe, it is even sweeter as you are 100% totally superhuman to them! ha! smile

Adoption in the family and being a step-parent has been priceless to me.

My wife and I are currently thinking about adopting...but we are not sure what we are going to do yet.

After spending a LOT of money trying to have our own kid, we are not "keen" on adopting. We both feel we should not unless we are both willing to commit to it 100%. I doubt if we will ever get there....

Thank you for sharing your story.

Hammer, if money is an issue, let me know. There is a way to adopt with no out of pocket expense. You adopt MN Waiting Childrens. Adoption was something my wife and I talked about and we actually went in to the fertility stuff thinking of adoption. It's a comitment for sure so you do have want it. Like I've said before, it's the best experience of my life.