• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women pull in big sturgeon

The spring catch-and-release sturgeon season on Rainy River has seen many big fish including one that measured more than 80-inches, according to Department of Natural Resources officials.

Catch-and-release season has given way to the harvest season that began Thursday.

Dennis Topp, assistant fisheries supervisor with the DNR Fisheries Office in Baudette, provided a photo of two women who caught the biggest fish he’s heard of in recent years.

Topp estimated the big fish weighed from 125-130 pounds and was probably about 50 years old. Girth was measured at 26-27 inches.

The Minnesota record for lake sturgeon was caught in 1994 on the Kettle River and weighed 94.4 pounds and measured slightly more than 70 inches

“There’s been a lot of excitement in the air around the river,” he said, noting that the river’s continuous northern pike season has also drawn anglers. The early spring walleye season ended April 14.

Topp said when he started in his position in 1991, it was unusual to hear about someone catching a 60-inch fish. “Fifteen years later a 60-inch fish is truly large and are more common now... This is the first 80-inch fish in recent history that I’ve seen proof of,” he said.

Topp estimated that at least 200 boats were targeting sturgeon on the west end of the river April 19 during the catch and release season. One resort, alone, had 80 registered guests that were targeting sturgeon, he added.

Meanwhile, Topp said anglers are turning in a lot of tags from the fish. The DNR has tagged about 5,500 lake sturgeon in the Lake of the Woods and Rainy River system in the last 15 years.

Topp said at least one tag has been returned from a fish caught and released at least five times. That fish, he said, hangs around the pool below the dam at International Falls. He also said tags are being returned from fish tagged 15-years ago.

The information provided through the tags returned is important, he said. “Anglers are giving us locations of fish and we’re seeing how they are moving and getting an idea of how much they’ve grown,” he said. “We really appreciate it when folks give us that information.”

After reading all the posts in open water about how much fun they had last weekend, I would love to try this! The only line that sort of makes me pause is, "it takes all a guy can muster to land one (get a fish 45 inches or over) and there were quite a few wayyyy bigger than 45 inches! I also think muskey fishing would be a blast! \:D