• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wenonah Wee - lass?

Everyone,

I am very seriously looking at buying a solo canoe or kayak to fish out of this year.

I ran across the Wee Lass on Wenonah's HSOforum and found it to be quite compelling. It's 12 ft, and weighs 24 lbs, which is the approximate length of the kayaks I was looking at and 1/3 the weight.

In your opinion(s) what are some advantages of the small solo canoe over kayaks?

Also, I have never owned a Kevlar canoe. How durable are they? The rivers I fish have a lot of shallow rapids that we often have to drag our canoes across. Is this a problem?

Thanks for the input.

Kevlar and rocks don't mix to well. Most of the folks I know who use kevlar canoes up in the BWCA "wet foot" it when they arrive at portages. Which means they get out of the canoe while it's still in the water to avoid any damage to the craft from rocks. Also, a lot of solo canoes tend to be somewhat tippy compared to a regular canoe design.

If you were to go the solo canoe route, I'd look at the ones made out of royalex or similar plastic type material for operating in rivers.

Although I don't know much about todays kayaks, they might be your best option for the type of water you sound like you fish.

I have a kevlar canoe and they can be plenty durable. If they weren't, they wouldn't be rentals to the general public in the BWCA. They have come a long way, but individual companies make different layups of kevlar some some are more durable than others.

Indeed the weight savings is a huge plus and the ability to portage it is also attractive. Its got more of a recreational hull design, but I still think it would be more "tippy" than a kayak since the canoe sits higher in the water. With experience this becomes a non-factor.

As far as fishing out of, I think they are pretty comparable and I like the openness of the canoe. You can stow plenty of gear and you have full gunwales to mount things on. You get kayak maneuverability in a canoe with added carrying capacity and ease of storage.

Its hard to evaluate your comment about using a kevlar canoe in rapids or even dragging it because my definition of rapids and your might be very different. In my travels, I have no issues with scraping against rocks or pulling over beaver dams, but I try to avoid "hitting" logs or rocks that might be more impact that abrasion. When I do plan on hitting a river or creek where I know I'm going to shoot rapids or sharp rocks than I try to use my heavier royalex boat. When I feel safe in sliding through or walking my boat over obstacles I don't worry about kevlar. Durable yes, bulletproof, no.

If it sounds like the rivers you do you paddle through safely without impacts than I say that the canoe can be a great option for you. Its also more versatile for other uses.

here is a picture of my favorite river for float fishing:

466211897_a55d92847b.jpg

It doesn't really show the rapids, but I am talking about 30 to 40 yards of small limestone rocks, with only a couple inches of water. Think slightly over-sized trout stream.

Typically once you hit bottom, you can either nudge yourself off with your paddle, scoot to get off of it, or get out and wade the canoe down.

Not so much big sharp rocks (like the BWCA) but more of a sustained shallow drag. Most people still use aluminum or heavy Royalex or Ram-X canoes because of the durability for dragging over the rocks. I am not worried about puncturing a hole in the boat, but rather wearing it thin.

I am also looking at slightly larger canoes like the Vegabond.

The issue that I have is that I fish contradictory waters and want a boat that can handle them both well. I fish small rivers, and larger lakes. I don't want something that gets tossed around in the wind and waves on the lakes, but that can also handle the river too.

Perhaps a couple of boats are in my future.... \:\)

Originally Posted By: Chode2235

Perhaps a couple of boats are in my future.... \:\)

Now you're talking.

With what you describe I wouldn't feel worried about using the kevlar. If you responsible enough to notice those things and protect your $1200 investment than I think you'll be fine.

Kevlar boats have exterior coatings of marine epoxy or something similar depending on the company so if your boat starts to see some wear like scratches or small gouges, you can sand it out and apply another coat or 3 of epoxy. Think of it as clear coat for paint. Unless you get through the paint you won't effect the kevlar.

Thats just it, I am not sure I am responsible enough. I do have a tendency to beat oy stuff up pretty badly. Or to put it better, it is not really something I want to worry about.

I am also looking at the Vegabond canoes. Anyone have experience with one of those too. I would likely get it in Royalex, heavy but durable. Right?

I am still leaning toward the kayak though, due to wind and waves. Canoes seem to be a little less seaworthy.

Good point, I do hate having to have my legs stick straight out in front of me in the kayak though.

Although the back rests are great. I have never been able to find a backrest that gave any real support.

Before buying I would take a test paddle first!!! You don't want to buy one and find out your legs cramp up after 10 minutes of paddling. I think the Gander in Forest lake still has a pool for test rides.

In my kayak I can sit cross legged or straight legged.its only 9'6" and I tip a scale at 220-250.But if I'm out long and antsy I cross my legs,or get out.For small water the kayak is the way to go.My 13' canoe sits now that I've this yak.

Sort of a late notice but Midwest Mountaineering is having a canoe and kayak "try before you buy" at Lake Calhoun from 3-8pm today Thursday the 24th at Thomas Beach on the south side of Calhoun.

Supposedly tons of canoes and kayaks to try out on the water.

Yucky weather for it, but ya can't control that.

Yeah, I think they have a few other events and will try to meet you at the water if you need them too. Great store.

They are also having the big kayak canoe auction this saturday. I will likely swing buy and see if I can get a good deal on something.