• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do cheap kayaks exist?

I have been looking into buying a kayak, but I'm kind of a big guy (250 lbs), and every time I find a reasonable kayak, I'm already at the maximum weight. Are there any secrets to finding deals on kayaks? Are there any concerns or problems buying used? I've only been in a kayak a few times, so I'm very inexperienced. Just looking for some tips!

You'll be fine getting a kayak with your weight. I'm 210# so I can understand where you're coming from. What kayaks in particular are you looking for? Sit-in or Sit-on-Top? There are a few kayak fishermen on this site who are more than able to set you up with advice on the right kayak, just let us know a little more on what you're looking for.

I love my Crow Wing kayak, it will easly handle your size, designed for fishing, only 9' not sure about the price. Check the post "rigged kayak" thats mine.

I've heard their HSOforum is down for construction, but check it out.

The kayak would be used almost solely for fishing...and usually for fishing around here, where there are no portages. Stability, then, would be the greatest consideration. I have been known to rock a canoe or two when I set the hook on a largie that's down deep chewing on my plastic worm. I would also be using it in the Mississippi, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: carmike
The kayak would be used almost solely for fishing...and usually for fishing around here, where there are no portages. Stability, then, would be the greatest consideration. I have been known to rock a canoe or two when I set the hook on a largie that's down deep chewing on my plastic worm. I would also be using it in the Mississippi, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

That kind of information really does help. Since you're mainly river fishing and not open water lake traveling, that keeps many doors open for you. Most people want speed out of their kayak as a first priority, and that can really narrow the field down IMO.

I would suggest something no shorter than 9 feet, with 14 feet being the longest you would want on a river (10-12 would be ideal)

Anyway, I would suggest a SOT kayak. If you're not looking to spend much money (but still get a good 'yak,) look into the Emotion Kayaks. Great kayaks for the price...most are under $500. Otherwise, locally made Crow Wing kayaks are worth looking into.

For what you want it for, I would concentrate on the lenght and adapability for fishing. So the questions are -

How will you be transporting it?

Mine 9 footer fits great in my trailer and even in the back of the pick up very comfortable and is easy for one person to handle. I've had it on dozens of lakes, with wind and powerboats, I've been swamped but never tipped. I've had it on the Mississippi a couple of times now, and its also perfect for that.

Is it meant for fishing?

Some yaks have factory fishing rod holders preinstalled. The Crow Wing yak has 3 of these behind the seat. I also installed one more up front. Its wide and very stable.

With your size and for fishing you'll want one atleast 30" wide.

And 9'3" are what a lot of the short yaks are and thats - IMO - perfect for around here.

REI has the Ocean Kayak - those are also good fishing yaks and are priced - I think around 500.00 or so.

Definitly SOT for fishing!!

Originally Posted By: carmike
What different considerations enter into a decision when thinking about open water lake travel vs. river fishing? Man, I don't knw enough about kayaks.

You'll learn grin.gif Open water take travel (usually) requires a long, narrow 'yak that moves quickly to cover long distances.

Kayaks for rivers really don't need to be that fast, because stability is much more important. Longer kayaks tend to be hard to control in moving water, making them more trouble than they're worth...going with a shorter kayak makes river navigation easier.

I'm also a big guy 260# 6'3". I would like a yak to take into the BWCA and fish with it their. I live near the Mississippi and would like to explore the awsome Bass fishery out my back door. I have looked into the Hobbies with the foot paddles for fishing. But I don't have that kind of money to spend. What would you suggest? How do the shorter kayaks handle in the wind?

Originally Posted By: Moose
I'm also a big guy 260# 6'3". I would like a yak to take into the BWCA and fish with it their. I live near the Mississippi and would like to explore the awsome Bass fishery out my back door. I have looked into the Hobbies with the foot paddles for fishing. But I don't have that kind of money to spend. What would you suggest? How do the shorter kayaks handle in the wind?

I wouldn't go with the Hobie Mirage Drive (with the foot pedals) for river fishing..too many rocks to hit! Choosing a kayak you really need to think about how you're going to use it the most and what you're looking for. For example, usually, if you want speed, you get a narrow kayak that is less stable. If you want stability, you get a wider kayak that sacrifices speed. Some kayaks blend the two together well, like with the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or 15, you get a good mix of speed and stability and is quite frankly, one of the best fishing 'yaks out there.

River fishing is really different than lake fishing in regards to the current and different water conditions. Places on the 'Sippi have rocks and current, and with a longer kayak, can be more difficult to maneuver through whereas a shorter kayak gives you more control. You'd probably want a wider kayak as well, giving you a bit more forgiveness.

You're best bet would to get out to the stores and really see what the 'yaks look like. Even better, find somewhere where you can take 'yaks out and test them, a kayak that works for one person may be miserable to fish out of for the next.

I bought my crow wing of a well know auction site. They used to have listings every week. I waited and got it less 200 $ on a slow bid. I think they may have a reserve now. I picked it up right at the factory and met the guys. Mine has the flat back and is very stable. I don't know what the weight limits are but I am 210 and had no problem. I throw it in the front of my big boat and use it to pick up ducks and decoys in the fall on leech lake. With the flat back it is much more stable than the true yak.

Another thing to consider is the seat in it. We have inexpensive Pungo Classic with a Wilderness System Seat in it and it is very comfortable. Pungos are pretty nice kayaks and have a variety to choose from.

I bought a Crow Wing Kayak last August, it was for sale on hsolist and I was able to pick it up at their shop in Merrifield, MN. I don't know if they are truly kayaks, I think they're actually more of a kayak/canoe/jon-boat type of combination. Nonetheless, I love my Crow Wing Kayak and I wouldn't use any other brand of kayak over them. They're only like 8 feet long, so you don't need licensing in Minnesota like other kayaks. I can't recommend them enough, plus they're made locally, so you're not buying cheap [PoorWordUsage] from overseas. I believe they're backed by a two year warranty as well.