• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prefered rod for crappies/panfish

That's right. If want to get good knot strength with flouro you need to wet the knot and cinch it slowly. Heat really effects the strength of flouro more so than mono.

i would not take ne thing for the scheels limited guide rod with a president reel i have. the rod is seven ft in length and is med light with 4lb gamma line

G. Loomis PR 8400S (7ft Walleye seris) teamed with a better 1000 or 2000 Shimano (mine is a Stradic 1000 or a Sahara 2000). Best all around panfish rod I have ever had and a great lighter lindy rod(kinda soft for big minnows) usually run 6# but can handle 8# too. Just a awesome bobber setup and super for casting weightless tubes and such. Casts for distance and is very accurate. It is soft enough to make it fun, but has the power to make any panfish lunch.

JJZ

782 IMX kicked out to 6'10" is my favorite stick. Seems to be the most versatile set up whether you're pitching, drifting or jigging. I run a 1000 Stradic on it, but you could use a 750 series as well...

I noticed a lot of people use 6 and a half or 7 foot rods, do you get better hook sets with a longer rod, or what is the reason for it? I use a 5 and a half foot light action and it seems to work fine, but would I be better off with going bigger?

For me the longer rod gives extra casting distance and better ability to move slack line for the hook set. 6.5 to 7 foot seems to be the best combo of cast accuracy, sensitivity, and hook setting ability. Dont get me wrong I have way shorter and longer rods, but they are more specialized and less versatile.

just my 2 cents