• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Rubicon

DRH1175

I am looking to buy one of these and had a couple questions for anyone who has one. First how do you like it and would you buy it again. I am going to use it for Yard work, hunting, and fishing. Not much if any trail riding. So I think a solid axle would fit that bill nicely. Second question, Oil. Can you use sythetic like amsoil or Mobil 1 0W40? Will the tranny still function?

Thanks

You came to the right place to hear praise about Honda's. grin.gif

For what you want to do, I can't think of a better machine. I don't ride Honda, but the Rubicon should fit your needs perfectly.

The AMSOIL 0W-40 4-Stroke PowerSports Motor Oil is designed specifically for your type of machine. It is certified for the gear rating for the transmission as well as the wet clutch (JASO MA/MA2) rating too. Note: most Honda ATVs transmission sump is separate from the engine while most other brands use a single sump for both. With the Hondas use the same oil in both engine and transmission.

What year rubicon is it? The only thing I didn't like about the pre 2005 is they didn't have traxlock and you needed a warn 424 to put in 2 wheel drive. Otherwise really solid machine. My father's owned 2 and they have been good machines.

looking at new 2007,2008, or 2009 when they come out. Going to buy around august or September when I get enough OT pay banked. So the amsoil will still funtion the hydro transmission of the Rubicon? That is good to hear.

Let me back up -- the 0W-40 is good in the regular gear transmissions, I am NOT SURE about the hydros - I don't have the specs book for them.

Sorry about the confusion, I hope I haven't caused any problems. If someone can give the Honda recommended fluid I have a cross reference chart and will be glad to check it and confirm which fluids are OK.

I've got a rubi and have ridden with a few for awhile, i've never seen machines get abused so much and do so well, i've had one float upside down for five hrs and still work, i've seen them just beat to [PoorWordUsage] and back and still go...

The only thing I don't like is they really wind up when u run the trail...they sound like your really revving them, it don't seem to bother them but its annoying to me....a rincon is much better trail machine, but the rubicons are unstoppable...

I am not looking for the ideal trail machine. I am looking for a work atv here. I will use it for hunting and ice fishing. But also some heavy work around the place. Hauling brush, trailers etc... If I was buying a trail machine I would look for something with IRS but I want the solid axle

The Rubicon is the better work machine since you'll have a low range and the solid rear axle won't allow the rear end to squat like IRS machines do when you hook onto a heavier trailer.

Atv's are built for some work. Just remember it's not a D3 Dozer.

I imagine it won't be long and you will try some trail riding. \:\)

The Rubicon can do both, just not anything at high rates of speed.

I think you'd be surprised how the Rubicon trails. The only thing it really lacks is the top end to keep up with the big bores, but acceleration is not as bad as one would think, plus they power slide real well with minimal body roll. IRS is nice for bumpy rocky trails, but the Rubicon is no slouch. Maybe next ride I'll bring the Rubicon and we'll see if it can hang with the brute. ;\)

On the trails, I usually have to wait up for someone, so I don't think you'll be far behind. I have ridden with 300's on up to 800's and a trail ride is all the same. Sure I could hit it hard for a bit, but then I'm all alone.....what fun is that?

LEP, you sayin' I can't turn??? confused.gif\:D

Hi I Have one of the first rubys that come out great machine .Just watch the pulling heavy things in high range as you can burn out the clutch .I found out the hardway ( my nephew was pulling a railroad rail to drag my driveway).

I ask that same thing about the synthetic oil at the dealer and they told me to not use it. Other than the clutch I have had no problems .Knock on wood .

So if I can't use Synthetic what do I use in the winter? For like -20 starting for ice fishing? Does like a 5w30 solve this problem. I put Mobil 1 in everything and love it. Bummer it won't work in the rubicon.

I've read different reports about running synthetic in the Rubicon and Rincon. I prefer to run with manufacturer specs and avoid any potential problems.

I would say the Hydro tranny in the Rubicon is every bit as durable as any of the rubberband trannies on the market.

As with any machine, maintenance goes a long way. It's just that the Honda's aren't as user friendly if you need to work on the transmission.

Good thing they're known for their reliability. ;\)

Originally Posted By: DRH1175
So if I can't use Synthetic what do I use in the winter? For like -20 starting for ice fishing? Does like a 5w30 solve this problem. I put Mobil 1 in everything and love it. Bummer it won't work in the rubicon.

You can run synthetic if you want to. If it is a wet clutch designed oil you can use but for for me I use the honda gn4. The only reason I would switch is for easier winter starting but you just run honda 0w-40 oil. It's only for when it's colder out and you have to change it out as soon as it warms up but it will help in the winter. Synthetic 0w-40 can be used all year. One thing alot of people don't know is rubicons have a carb heater. You turn the key on for 30 seconds to a minute pull the choke and it fires up real good even in the dead of winter.