• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TO MANY BOWS

sportfish

whats a guy to think looking at new bows there are so many good one. single cam, double cam, cam and a half. short and long bow, 6 in. to 8.75 in. brace hight. 300 to 350 fps. right now im looking at hoyt vicktrex , x-force , bowtech , and dimond. not sure if I should buy one because i can save a few hundread bucks or just buy the spendest. Is it true some of the real fast bows can shoot 0 to 40 yards with one pin?

Some of the fast bows are fast becuase they run the highest poundage for a longer part of the power stroke.. so they are faster, but you do give up on smooth.. and often times forgiveness as well.

No, you can not shoot flat out to 40 yards... Impossible. However, you can shoot 1 pin out to 40 yards. You will have to sight in high at 10-20, be right on at 30 and then slightly low at 40.. but with a decent anchor point, none of your shot should be high or low by more than about 6"... I would rather not have to think of that.. I use 2 pins.. 15-30.. and I know I am 6" low at 40 if needed. I highly doubt I would ever take a 40 yard shot at a deer.. Conditions would have to be perfect, deer looking away, and not aware of anything wrong, 100% broadside, little to no wind, nothing between me and the deer.

Shoot as many bows as you can, get the one that feels best to you... When you shoot take notes right after shooting them and write down what you liked and didn't like about itt.. review the notes and shoot it again a few days later.

No bow shoots flat to 40 yards period. Anybody who says different is probably trying to sell something or stroke their own ego. For a beginner, shooting a speed bow will probably do you more harm than good. Speed bows are usually fast because they have shorter brace heights. Short brace heights allow the string to act on the arrow for a longer amount of time. This imparts more speed to the arrow than a bow with a large brace height will. The problem with short brace heights is that the longer the string acts on the arrow, the more chance there is for the archer to affect the arrow flight by moving. So short brace heights are faster but less forgiving, long brace heights are slower but more forgiving (read accurate).

For beginners I suggest finding a bow that fits great, draws smooth, shoots quietly with minimal hand shock and has a large brace height. This type of bow usually produces middle of the road speed, but excellent accuracy. Increased speed does help to reduce the effect of misjudged yardage at longer distances, but most new (and maye even experienced) bowhunters should be keeping their shots inside 25 yards anyhow.

I'm not a beginner I have 8 deer and 4 wild pigs under my bow hunting belt. My 7 year old bow shoots good I just want to upgrade. And as far as price my old bow a fred bear costed $279 way on the cheep end but still is a good bow I have 3 freinds that want to buy it now. I think I'll start look at the fastest bows with the longest brace height. What about cams 1 -1.5- 2 what holds up the longest with wear and tear and years?

I shot about 8 different bows and ended up buying the new Mathews DXT . It felt like the best hunting bow. It drew smoth,and shot great, I didnt like any of the Double cams or cam and a halfs, not smooth enough for 10-15 fps more. the only problem with the DXT was the price.

That bow should last you quite a few years, so the price of it gets cheaper each time you use it. Thats the way I look at it at least.

Enjoy the new bow, it sounds like you made the right decision for yourelf and in

the long run, you will be quite happy wiith it!

Happy shooting to you!

If anyone is putting off getting a new bow just go get one, I'm so happy with my groupings. I use to shoot a pie plate size grouping at 30 yds now I shoot a 3in. group at 30yds, and a pie plate size group at 60 yds. Most of the new bows are so forgiving compared to 5 or 6 years ago.