• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV's and kids

Roofer

There is a post going at HL trying gather money to buy a kid a new atv that had his stolen at Mud Nationals. I agree with helping people, but look at this picture.

Do you think he is old enough to drive a machine like this?????

I posted that he is far too young to ride an atv like that and I was shunned for saying that. I'm not asking anyone to post anything on that forum, but asking how you feel about it. confused.gif

IMO, he could possibly be old enough. His size is what's against him.

The picture is a fine example of why some areas have a higher rate of kids getting seriously hurt on ATV's. It's also a perfect case of poor decision making on the parents part. But some have this mindset that you can't tell them how to raise their kids.

The simple fact you were shunned for mentioning something about it is sad.

Roofer,

I pulled the pic. No offense to you. It's good to see your at least concerned about what was wrong with the pic. But, I'm not 100% certain about posting it here after it's been on another site.

The simple fact of the number of things wrong with this pic turns my stomach and we wouldn't want anyone to pull this from here and make claims that it was illegal riding here in M.

I know you'll see where I'm coming from.

No problem, I understand.

The kid looked like he was about 8 or 9 years old with no helmet, riding a Rancher.

I don't blame the kid. I think it is bad parenting, and the ones going along with it are not thinking of what can happen to him or our sport.

Reminds me of yesterday.....I was driving and saw a Father and son riding on their land. The boy was riding a little kawasaki atv and the father a griz. Neither had a helmet and were driving rather fast. When I drove by I saw the dad hit something and was on two wheels for a bit and looked like he might tip over. With everything the state is trying to do to help people, they still do whatever they want.

Now, it's not my kid, and I shouldn't be telling anyone anything about their own kids, but that just looks bad. How would you even go about saying something like that to someone?......

On their own land they can do whatever they want as far as what size machine their kids ride or if they even wear a helmet.

State trails are another story. We've seen it in the past and we'll most certainly see it again.

I really dont know if hes to young, I started riding atvs when I was in 2nd grade(how ever old that is). Its up to the state weather or not its illegal and up to his parents if they want to let the kid ride. So if they say its ok then its ok with me. If the kid hurts himself thats there problem, if the kid hurts someone else then theres a problem.

Theres a big differance on how atvs are viewed in MN and how their viewed in the south. In MN their viewed as a problem, nuisance, troblem makers, dangorus etc.. Where in the south their viewed as a fun thing to do, its a cultural thing. I wish MN was like that.

I agree, but it doesn't look good when someone gets hurt. It just hurts all of us who are trying to do things right.

I rode when I was young also. There wasn't as many problems then either. With the knowledge we have now, there is no reason a 9 year old is on an atv that big, especially in the mud pits.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
I think you have to be a certain age to ride on the trails right? So, why have the rules?

Age 10-11 can ride ATV's 90cc on state trails-NO safety training required

Age 12 and older must go through safety training and can ride machines larger than 90cc as long as they meet the fit requirements.

There was a long discussion in a thread a few months back about the need for safety training and age requirements.

Its a tough decision, i have a seven year old that is an awesome rider, but i have to keep reigning myself back to let him step up....because i know he does not understand alot of things, and at that age they tend to outride their skills in a quick hurry lol....I'd love to get him his own atv but i'll keep him on dirt bikes for awhile yet, If i interpreted everything right he can ride omc's on trails but not old enough for atv yet i think....