• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Safe Fertilizer/weed controll recomendations needed

Diago

Last year I subscribed to a lawn care service and they applied fertilizer and weed controll in liquid form three times during the summer. My lawn looked great! My wife worries and became concerned about the "chemicals " used, she asked the company for a list of the chemicals and a disclamer that explains the possible side effects. The listed side effect were many. I need to find fertilizer and weed controlls that are "safe". Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Do a google for organic weed control or fertilizer.

I personally feel that as long as a chemical or fertilizer is applied by the label rates and followed by the guidelines that the EPA has set forth, that it's safe.

You can drown from drinking too much water. Obviously if you were to drink the concentrate that the chemical comes in, you would be in dire straights as well.

AMEN! Many of these companies even are required to post little flags about keeping children and pets off the yard for 24 or 48 hours after application - tells me I don't want them.

This may seem like an odd thread for me to reply to, but AMSOIL has a line of Natural Organic Lawn Care Products. Much more info at this link. These will not give you a weed control, but my experience (yes, I use them) is that most grass will get so strong that most weeds will get choked out, but it takes a couple of years use to get there. For most lawns, apply 1 quart to 5000 square feet 3 times - when the grass first starts to grow in the spring, mid summer and fall a couple of weeks before first expected frost. Yes, liquid! I believe that if you buy 3 quarts you get a free hose end sprayer.

Organic weed control.

Isn't it called a hoe?

I spent 3 years getting my lawn squared away by applying 2 or 3 fertlizer applications and spot control for weeds. I was at the stage where I could control the little crabgrass that came up with a blow torch.

Of course that was before the sewer project - now I get to start all over again.

I run an organic fertilizer business as a side job and have come across a recipe to kill weeds.....table salt (1 cup), white vinegar (1 gallon), and liquid dish soap (1 table spoon). Mix thoroughly until the salt dissolves, pour into a hand-held spray bottle and spray the solution directly on the target weeds. For weeds growing out of cracks in driveways and sidewalks, some people pour salt directly on the weeds. Other people pour straight vinegar directly on weeds. Still others add a few drops of liquid dish soap to the recipe to help the solution stick to the weeds. The important thing to know about this homemade recipe is that is non-selective. Just like any weed killer, use it sparingly and with caution. Non-selective means it will kill or damage any plants or grass that come into contact with it. Also, try to avoid spraying it directly on the soil. Vinegar breaks down the soil structure and kills beneficial microorganisms.

I did the research years ago when my kids were small and I was looking for a non-chemical alternative. It was recommended by a coworker who was editor of a garden magazine. I couldn't find it locally at the time so I never gave it a try.

The research looks good but the price is higher and you may have to buy it from a specialty shop.

Jim,

I forgot to mention that the only fertilizer that I sell/use is 100% corn gluten. This is my 3rd yr in business and last year I tripled my business. I think that more and more people are becoming aware of the affects of chemicals to not only their family and pets, but also water contamination as well.

Corn gluten will not give you instant results like chemicals do. When I explain to my customers about the corn gluten, I tell them that chemical lawn treatment is like giving your lawn steroids, quick and great results...but in years to come, these chemicals could change the chemical makeup of your lawn, therefore making your soil rely on your chemicals for nutrients. With corn gluten, it conditions your lawn naturally. Slowing changing your lawn and acting more like "food" to your lawn. There won't be instant results, but if you are dedicated with corn gluten, it will pay off in the yrs to come. Also with corn gluten, at least with the kind I sell, it is impossible to over fertilize your lawn, or burn your grass. This alone makes it much easier to work with for homeowner.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.

Originally Posted By: Chaddjurg
Jim,

I forgot to mention that the only fertilizer that I sell/use is 100% corn gluten. This is my 3rd yr in business and last year I tripled my business. I think that more and more people are becoming aware of the affects of chemicals to not only their family and pets, but also water contamination as well.

Corn gluten will not give you instant results like chemicals do. When I explain to my customers about the corn gluten, I tell them that chemical lawn treatment is like giving your lawn steroids, quick and great results...but in years to come, these chemicals could change the chemical makeup of your lawn, therefore making your soil rely on your chemicals for nutrients. With corn gluten, it conditions your lawn naturally. Slowing changing your lawn and acting more like "food" to your lawn. There won't be instant results, but if you are dedicated with corn gluten, it will pay off in the yrs to come. Also with corn gluten, at least with the kind I sell, it is impossible to over fertilize your lawn, or burn your grass. This alone makes it much easier to work with for homeowner.

For price, I sell my 25 lb bags at $15.99 / $20.99 if I install.

I'm also the same way with my fertilizers, meaning I don't put the lawn on steroids. If you do, you're only asking for renovation and rehab within 6-10 years.

I hear alot of people switching to corn gluten, but haven't come across a safe weed killer, except for covering areas with black plastic, which will kill the grass as well.

The safest weed killer is to keep your grass mowed 3-3.5"+ taller, water it like mad, and keep a fertilizer that's lower in Nitrogen but high in Potassium which will slow down the top growth but increase your root structure. I personally run a 10-0-20, with 65% slow release, which will also be nearly impossible to burn a lawn, while feeding it over a longer period of time than the large national companies.

They usually use something like a 46-0-0 which makes the top grow like wildfire, but does nothing for the root structure.

Try going to a place that sells animal feed, you can get corn gluten meal at a better price. Corn gluten in the spring and you can also use soybean meal and/or alfalfa pellets as a fertilizer in the summer and fall. It is best not to use synthetic fertilizers with organic, you have to do one or the other. It does take a couple of years but your lawn will be just as green and you will be mowing at least 1/3 less. More fishing and hunting time.