• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying an item (car, camper, etc) out of state

Never bought an item like this out of state before, but am probably going to be buying a pop-up camper from someone in Iowa this week. How does sales tax work on something like that? The sale isn't in Minnesota, so do I have to pay sales tax, or is it waived? Any inputs great.

Camper trailer? It will need a trailer license. When you register, I believe the DMV will charge you to transfer title and 6.5% sales tax on the transaction when done. You won't have to pay Iowa anything best I can recall.

You Pay the sales tax based on what state you will be registering it in. My GF bought two vehicles while going to the U of M. She is from ND so she registered both of them in ND (her permanent address)

It may be different when talking camper/trailer vs. boat, but I have purchased two boats out of state and never paid a dime of sales tax on either one. Can be a big savings on large priced vehicles. I had to pay MN all of the transfer and new registration fees however.

In MN boats are registered with the DNR and if you buy a used boat from a private party there is no sales tax, only a title transfer fee if the boat is over 16' and registration.

Trailers are registered with the DMV and are taxed at 6.5% in MN. After a certain age there is a flat fee in leu of sales tax.