• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting plants outside?

hoggs222

I wait until at least after mid April. With the snow coming, that will delay everything. The veg garden will wait till early to mid-May. (Possibly a bit earlier this year since the gf has me booked every weekend from mid May till July already) Annuals around the same time. Perennials and shrubs I start outside around late April. The house plants usually hit the deck Memorial Day weekend.

I just play it cautious. Some will likely say earlier some will likely say later. Remember last year we got a decent snow on April 14-15th. The last frost is early to mid-May.

Thanks. I was just talking about putting them outside when at work, etc. and then bringing them back in at night. Just to get some full sunlight. My house doesn't have a really great southern or western window.

Harding them off I put them out on any sunny day over 45-50 degrees they go out in the AM,I progressivly leave them out later,as long as the temp does'nt drop below 45 till I put them into the garden.

invest in a grow light! I picked up a 4' fixture and bulbs for30$

seems to really work good for a minimal cost. I must have nearly 50 plants from beans,tomatos,pepers,flowers....Once you get the initial lights out of the way i think you definately save doing.

Originally Posted By: Boogaard
invest in a grow light! I picked up a 4' fixture and bulbs for30$

seems to really work good for a minimal cost. I must have nearly 50 plants from beans,tomatos,pepers,flowers....Once you get the initial lights out of the way i think you definately save doing.

I agree.....I have 4 grow lights in my basement over a table.Start putting them outside during the day a couple weeks before you plant them.....starting with cold hardy onion plants and lettuce plants.

Probably sunburned.They are not used to the sunshine.Takes a few days.Putting them out a little longer each day.That's why I usually start that on a weekend when I'm home.

First couple of times out there should be no direct sunlight. Maybe slowly ween them with sun light. UV is the worst this time of year. Lot easier to burn this time of year then in July when it is really hot.

Aha! So do you think there will be any chance of them coming back? I know it's tough to tell without seeing them.

Do the leaves regenerate after wilting like they did?

I did harden them up earlier by having a fan blow on them for 6 hours or so a day for a few weeks.

Mine are in sunlight 6 hrs a day there bout 10" now,I'll start them outside tomorrow, 11 AM till 3-4 PM,but I'll water from top when I put them out and check for water in heat of day they'll probably need more! the cells their in is the 72 count 1&1/4" x 1 & 1/4" bout 1&1/2 deep not much area for retaining water with evaporation.They will set in sun all day till they come in.There ready to be planted but its cool yet! Till the gardens tomorrow 1 up against house tomatoes will go in next week if forcast over night is above 45.Peppers are also out growing cells,flowers so-so their all perennials

My guess is no on them coming back. You can try the garden web and post a question there. I just learned from them my onions can be trimmed multiple times before being planted outdoors to help fatten them and make them more hardy. My tomatoes look like they are ready to try outside but I am worried what happened to you will happen to me. Good luck.