• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying Used Equipment

Got a question for those with experience.

I am interested in getting into photography. I've done a little work using some of my family's equipment (Canon 10D and 5D, 70-200mm and 100-400mm lenses) and really enjoyed it. My interest at this point is wildlife, I can't get enough of the beautiful color birds are displaying this time of year. Since I can't simply borrow the family equipment whenever I feel like it, I thought I should make a small investment and get my own equipment.

I've seen enough to know how expensive camera bodies and lenses can be. What I'm wondering is if buying used equipment is recommended for someone in my position (no experience, limited budget)? Are there things I need to look out for if I decide to go with used equipment? Any other recommendations?

Other than my camera that I bought from a member of another photo forum, I haven't had any experience in used equipment. There are a couple online dealers that I wouldn't be afraid to buy used from. You could check B& H Photo, Canoga Camera or Adorama. They all have good reputations. hsolist is always another alternaive, albeit a bit of a risky one.

Good luck. Maybe someone else who has bought used from one of these online dealers can help you. However, from what I've seen, good used equipment isn't a heck of a lot cheaper than new.

I've also bought and sold used equipment on the forum MD mentions. Quite a lot of traffic there for used gear.

No matter where you buy used, take care to check the references of the folks doing the selling. I avoid hsolist for used camera gear because it's too much of a free-for-all. I also don't buy used from places such as B&H because there's not much savings offered most of the time.

You should be able to get a good used 20D or 30D and 100-400 in that for-sale forum MD mentioned. Canon also makes a very nice 70-300 zoom with IS that's half as expensive as the 100-400, but with birds, that extra 100mm of reach can be crucial.

Good luck, and keep asking any questions you have in here.

To elaborate on what Steve mentioned when buying used from a forum member is, check to see how long he has been a member and if he is also a contributor. I've seen people on another forum join, just to be able to sell their equipment. I wouldn't trust these. The individual I bought my camera from had been a member for years and had hundreds of posts. I felt like I already knew him.

Quite a few people who never post on a particular forum join just to sell their gear and have excellent, long running reviews on hsolist or a couple other photo gear sites. So if the seller in question is long-term members of the forum in question, that's very good, as XT pointed out. But if they're new to a particular forum but offer avenues to check out their reliability on hsolist or other for-sale forums, that's just as good, IMO.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
But if they're new to a particular forum but offer avenues to check out their reliability on hsolist or other for-sale forums, that's just as good, IMO.

That makes sense.

I've bought most of my equipment used from hsolist mostly. If you're careful and only buy from sellers that have a good reputation your chances are pretty good. But they are chances. I've had very good luck on hsolist for years buying all kinds of things. I'm not making a recommendation but it's worth a shot if you're careful.

I would disagree with XT in that I have saved hundreds of dollars buying GOOD used equipment.

Good luck

I have had good luck with craigs list as well. You can find some deals on there but you have to be very quick. I sold my 18-55 kit lens on there, I posted the ad and within an hour I had 20 offers, first come first serve. I found a great deal on a 70-200 F4L on there with the tripod collar for about 2/3 of the cost of the lens alone. Saved a couple hundo and the best part about it was calling and talking to the guy before hand. If you get a chance to talk to someone you are buying from, you can get a feel for the reason they are selling. In my case on the 70-200, he had upgraded to the 70-200 F2.8L IS as it fit his needs better than the F4L. He shot for a magazine and took great care of his equipment, and I picked up the lens a year after he purchased it, and it looked like it just came out of the box.

Like the others have said, try to avoid places like hsolist for camera gear, but forums and classifieds are a good bet to find a decent deal. For a camera body, ask the seller how many clicks he or she has put the camera through. What kind of photography the person did is good to know as well. If you are talking about one of the Canon non pro bodies, it might be wise to stay away from one that had been in the desert or on the ocean front as small particulate can get in places it shouldn't, sand and salt don't mix with camera bodies.

Originally Posted By: mmeyer
I would disagree with XT in that I have saved hundreds of dollars buying GOOD used equipment.

I guess I wasn't real clear, in an earlier post. When buying used equipment from an online photo company, there isn't a lot of savings, IMO. I've also had good luck with hsolist, for many other items.

A few months ago I purchased a brand new in the box Canon 20D on hsolist. It was exactly the backup body I wanted. The seller had gotten it as a gift,and never attempted to use it-the box was still sealed. The price was less than a new Rebel XT,so it was a no brainer. There are indeed very good deals on hsolist-usually in the form of "buy it now" deals that pop up suddenly and the seller doesn't know the value of their item because they got it as a gift or some similar situation.

Sometimes it's fun to go to the camera or lens section on hsolist and do a completed items search. Alot of times I have seen buy it now deals on 70-200 2.8's that went for $400-$700 and no,not the scammers,legit sellers-just didn't know what they had or didn't care cuz they needed money quick. I almost cried one day when I saw a completed sale for a 20D WITH a 17-40F4L the buy it now price had been-$450! arrgh! It was a real deal as I checked the feedback the buyer left for the seller a week later-he said he was very happy. Ya, ya think??!!

The deals are out there,you just need to be able to spot them. Like I said,that new 20D body for $425 made me a believer-even though my wife turned kinda cold for a few days for some reason. ?? \:\(

I've bought a couple of cameras used all with great luck. My Mark IIN I bought with only 2800 actuations on it and two years old! I've bought at least 5 or 6 lenses, most locally and also through Fred Miranda. Excellent site for buy and sell. I just don't mess with HSOList, thats me but considering other sources I just haven't felt the need or felt like waiting on an auction.

If you do a search back a few months we had a nice thread going on what to look for in a used camera. I honestly have no problem buying good used equipment. I like saving money to buy more equipment.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. I will post occasional updates with how my search is going and certainly ask any more questions I have. I can't wait to post some of my photographs as well.