• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DIY western bowhunt???

bmc

I've got the itch real, real, real bad to go out west and do a complete DIY bowhunt for mule deer. Has anyone done this? I just ordered Cameron Hanes book "Backcountry Bowhunting" which will only fuel the fire that much more. I'm hoping to do this hunt within 5 years and having my brother come along too. Also, any opinions on which state would be easiest to draw for an archery mule deer buck tag? I'm just starting to do my internet research, but just figured I'd throw a few ?'s out there.

Thanks,

Brian

Scoot, thanks for the email, I appreciate it and probably will be picking your brain a little more as I do some more planning. 4 of us actually drew non-res archery tags for ND this fall, 3rd week of October we'll be at Logging Camp Ranch south of Medora. We hunted just north of Medora w/ Elkhorn Outfitters a couple years ago and had a blast chasing muley's and went 2 for 4 (4x4 and a 2x2) which we were happy with as we're treestand hunters and new to spot and stalk hunting. I was at full draw on a nice 4x4, but couldn't get a shot over the bank that was between us. I'm looking forward to redemption. I also had a stalk blown by a covey of sharptails. That buck was arrowed the next week and scored in the 170's, so close yet so far!

shiner2367, thanks for the reply, but I think I'll probably stick with ND or SD as it's easier to get tags. I'll keep CO in my mind though for sure!!

Thanks guys,

Brian

Brian, how did you like Elkhorn Outfitters? Did they have you on mostly private land or were you hunting a lot of public land through them?

Yep, feel free to pick my brain on this stuff anytime. I love whitetail hunting, but the stuff out West is a blast too!

Cool, thanks for the info. Is Elkhorn Outfitters the name of the outfitters who are located at Elkhorn Ranch? I assume so, but I'm not sure if it's the same deal or not because I thought the land around Elkhorn Ranch is mostly public...

I'm not sure if it's the same deal or not. From my understanding they have 3 different ranches to hunt and all are private. We hunted the south ranch which in on the north border of the south unit of the Teddy Roosevelt park.

Brian

I just got Cameron Hanes book "Backcountry Bowhunting" A guide to the wild side. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME read. I've got DIY fever really, really, really bad!!! Already looking at some gear and areas to hunt. Just wish I was a little closer to the "western" hunting states. Kind of scary trying to plan a trip like this with so many unknowns, but that's part of the adventure isn't it? Thank god for the internet to try and find answers to some of those "unknown" questions.

Brian