• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Spinning

JMo

I was fishing today and got on a school of gills. We were in about 20 feet of water and the fish were stacked from the bottom all the way up to within five feet from the hole where we could actually sight fish them. It was pretty fun being able to watch the fish through the hole take the bait. The problem I was having was that when I first drop the jig down to the depth I wanted I could see that the jig would spin for 10-15 seconds and then settle down. The fish wouldn't come up to the bait until the jig would stop spinning. I am using an ultra lite rod with 4 lb Berkley Cold Weather line and a 1/6th ounce jig. Has anyone else had a problem with line spinning. I was wondering what I could do to minimize the jig spinning when I drop it down the hole. Thanks for your help in advance.

stretching your like like slipperybob posted is a tip that Dave Genz made in an article I read earlier this year...he suggested to catch more panfish pull off 50ft and stretch it out and always pull off a little bit of the old line and start with "fresher" line on the spool...

what I do is start at the jig grab the jig in one hand and pull out some line about 3ft and create tension....keep doing this for about 50ft or so of line....while ice fishing I just did this as I was lowering my bait.

not a big fan of the swivel for a few reasons.....if you give it a few feet of line when reeling up the swivel gets to the tip and then you have to lift the fish the rest of the way (pain)....the fish (when panfishing) will sometime go for the swivel...and the biggest reason more knots to tie the more chances of the line breaking....but that is just my opinion....Good Luck.....(the only time I have used a swivel ice fishing is with a chubby darter)

another thing you can do is let your line untwist above the water, then lower it back down. Reel up your jig til you have 6-7 feet of line from your rod tip to your jig, then just hold it in the air so it can untwist. Once it's done spinning, lower it back down into the water. With some jigs every time you jig it goes around in a circle which is what creates the twist, so you periodically have to let it untwist, or find a kind of jig that doesn't do that.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Swivel is the best way to go. I started using a swivel with about 2 feet of vanish between it and the hook and it uped my production a lot.

who turned you on to the vanish that uped your production? ;\)