• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crankbaits

wolkie

I have been watching all these shows and in talking to people it seems the in thing is to switch out the regular trebble hooks for red ones. I know rapala even makes lures like that now. I have tried this durring last years season and honestly didnt see much of a difference if at all. Has anyone also tried? If so whats your oppinion.

I do have a question I caught the largest cat of my life last year. I had a scale that toped at 50lbs it went over! I have a picture and I understand there is a method of finding out how big it really is. Does anyone know how to figure it out?

It's the old, which color makes a difference in lures. But the biggest difference is how pressured is the water you're fishing on is. In that sometimes, red being an obvious stick out color, you might get a bite hook up instead of just a nose follower. Red colored hooks are market moreso to bass lures than anything else.

I haven't used any red catfish hooks though...LOL's

I actually have caught probably 15 cats on crankbaits. I get a good hit and think its a really nice smallie or walleye and end up with a 2-3 pound cat. It is fun because they really smack the cranks.

Caught one on a Zip Lure (As Seen on TV) back in '05. Little guy, caught in the mouth.

This past fall while musky fishing not far from Roch, I caught a cat topwater on a Giant Jackpot. No joke, and it was not snagged. We're talking a 20"ish channel on a 10" huge topwater lure. Hit while walkin the dog. Boil and all. DT, Rugby, and Crazyice were all there to witness.

OK, that's my crazy cat story.

Catching catfish on cranks happens quite a bit. I've caught many fiesty channels on a little #5 Shad Rap in the Otter Tail...and a fair number of Mudeyes in the Minnesota to boot.

They can smell bait like no other fish but given good visibility, they will smack artificials like no other too!

In the mississippi North forum, there was a lot of talk about channels on cranks and fly fishing for channels. I think it wass by chance though. Would not target channels with cranks, but it does occur.

That I agree and it wouldn't be my first go to lure either.

However if somehow you want to humor yourself and challenge a buddy to see who catches the first cat with a crank or spoon, it can be fun time to really test some fine tuning technique. LOL's