• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skid-Steer Rental

MNexpoler

Might need to rent a skid-steer this summer to do some work around the farm. Whats a good price for rental of this kind of equipment? We've rented before and its $250 for a 24hr preiod. It was a Bobcat 763 which I never really cared for. I've ran Case, New Holland, and Cat. The Cats were awesome machines. I would like to get one of those. What have other people paid for renting and what kind of a skid steer did you get and for how long?

I think I paid $135 for an ASV for 8 hours. It was a smaller loader but did the job well. I'm not 100% sold on the tracks though.

I have an uncle who has an older Bobcat that I always enjoyed using.

IMO, Case is the best, but I'm kind of partial since my Grandmother was a niece to the original founder of the Case Corp.

Have rented and used a few, and have buddies who run them almost daily. Cat with tracks is the best there is. Real tracks work very well in muddy conditions and are very stable, but you are looking at about $300 a day. From what I've been told the Case are very good for a wheel machine. Controls are the main thing. Get one you know how to run, otherwise it's a waste, IMO.

A wheel machine here is about $235 a day, and $275 with tracks over tires(steel). Not as good in the mud as real track machines but a tad better than wheels only. These prices are from last year, so they may have gone up slightly.

I darn near bought a new Cat track machine last year. Sometimes I wish I would have.

They are amazing with the right operator. This one pushed dirt until it came up into the cab.

100_0630small.jpg

Hey Roofer, I ran a Cat 277 at work so I know what they can do. The guy I worked really knew how to run it good and I seen him take it up a 5ft high near vertical wall in reverse. I loved the Cats controls too, so easy. Anyways I was looking on google and Olson Power in North Branch had ASV's for 180-250 a day. ASV's are alot like the Cats.

Originally Posted By: birdswacker
MN insn't there a rental place up on the hill in St. Croix Falls?

I'm pretty sure theres not. I think I remeber seeing something about skid rental(or skid work) way up on the hill by the truck stop a couple of years ago, but I havent been up there in a while. Theres a Case IH and New Holland(Baraboo) dealer not sure if they rent or not. Maybe your thinking of Fleet Supply? they went out of bunisness, but they never rented skid-steers.

I have been told that Cat used to have the ASV tracks, but not the newer ones. Not 100% on that though.

$50 an hour!!! Someone is in need of some work at those lowball rates.

Let me start off by saying I have more hours in a skidloader than I care to admit! A cat with tracks on it is 10 times the machine as one on tires. No comparison there. Personally I would pay alot more to rent a tracked one than a wheeled one. I could be wrong here but I belive ASV designed the tracks on the original cats (267s and 277s) which still use the same design today. The others have a totally different system (247s 275s and 287s). The 277 and 267 are the easiest one to grade with but they are the same size and the 277 has a turbo thus more HP. They 247 and 257 are nice and small and are good machines too. There arnt many around but I ran a 287 for a couple days and let me tell you that thing would move dirt! I was amazing! Ive also ran a couple ASVs which are nice too. They have wider tracks so they float a little better. Ran a tracked bobcat too, unimpresive only made it a half day and took it back and got the 277 from the shop! No exprience with the rest of them but I would definetly steer you tward renting one with tracks.

Cats are on thier third series of track loaders. The new C's are a totaly differant track design. Not sure if its ASV's but I don't believe so. They also added a new seat with some suspension in it for guys like Dozer who put a lot of hours in them. The company I used to work for got one of the first 277's delivered to MN and never looked back to the Case line. Now most of the major players in dirtwork are using these for things a D4 would have to do. I guess it's all a matter of Ford vs.Chevy. Given the choice I would take the Cadilac, I mean Cat.

CW

Originally Posted By: cw642
Cats are on thier third series of track loaders. The new C's are a totaly differant track design. Not sure if its ASV's but I don't believe so. They also added a new seat with some suspension in it for guys like Dozer who put a lot of hours in them. The company I used to work for got one of the first 277's delivered to MN and never looked back to the Case line. Now most of the major players in dirtwork are using these for things a D4 would have to do. I guess it's all a matter of Ford vs.Chevy. Given the choice I would take the Cadilac, I mean Cat.

CW

I was told by the Cat salesman that a 277 will move more dirt in a day than a D4, just because they are so quick.

Goodtogo, Are they Cats design and ASV is making them or are they all ASV? I thought their contract with ASV was expired and they were going to use their own design. Thus the C lineup two years after the new B's. I'm guessing from your location you might have first hand knowlege about this.

CW

Have you considered buying one ? I rented skidsteers many times few years back, when I totaled the amount of money I spent it was $ 11,000 !!!! I then bought a used machine which cost me same amount, and never looked back. In the past 4 years I've used it EVERY day for a reason or another.

When you're doing dirt work you'll be glad you are not looking at the clock ticking at $ 250/hr, you can take your time and do a better job.

Anymore leasing or financing is very cheap, I used Ziegler/ Cat with 1.9%

Never rented, but plowed all winter with a cat 250, that thing had some serious power. The company i worked for rented a few cats from tri state rental, you might wanna check them out, otherwise just try googling skid steer rentals that might help

It's all ASV. ASV works closely with Cat on design and the end product for Cat is slightly different than ASV's own machines. C series was just a design change, not a change in supplier or manufacturer. The contract is still in place and has been extended to 2012.