• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN DNR Trails Ambassdor Training begins

Dave S

Description: Volunteer Trail Ambassador Training

Class Date: Saturday, May 31st, 2008

Class Time: 9AM - 7PM County: Hennepin

Class held at: Cabela’s Leech Lake Conference Room, upstairs by the deli.

Pre-registration is required. There is no fee to attend.

Individuals registering for this training must meet the following requirements:

Must be 18 years of age or older.

Must be a Certified MN DNR Volunteer ATV Instructor that is currently active.

Must possess a valid drivers license.

Must successfully complete the MN DNR ATV Safety Training CD. (available for free 1-800-366-8917)

Must pre-study current Minnesota Off-Highway Vehicle Regulations booklet.

Please bring a pen and your driver's license. All other training materials will be supplied. All individuals wanting to volunteer for the Trail Ambassador programmust be sponsored by a local qualified organization.

Qualified Organizations: Qualified organizations, or sponsors, (i.e. local OHV clubs) are required to be current members in good standing of one of the following:

v Amateur Riders Motorcycle Association (ARMCA);

v All-Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota (ATVAM);

v Minnesota United Snowmobilers Association (MnUSA)

v Minnesota 4 Wheel Drive Association (MN4WDA).

Qualifying organizations must be willing participants in the Trail Ambassador grant program.

For more information and registration contact: Lt. Leland Owens at 763-753-1887 or [email protected]

What I understand about it is it will put MN DNR ATV instructors out on the trails patrolling/reporting issues. As you can see in the original post, there will be people from several organizations involved and keeping an eye on the ATV trails.

I guess I know what I'll be doing from 9am-7pm on May 31st.

I'm not sure if I can continue riding with anyone with authority, with all the things I do wrong. \:\)

Although I could just turn around and hit the throttle and not worry about it. \:D

I would gain ground on the corners and tighter trails.

I'm not 100% certain what liberties we'll have with this training. I think I heard when this came out that we would be joined by CO's on the trails. Not absolutely sure on that.

I'm looking forward to going through the class.

I also doubt that we could be "out with friends" while doing this. It would be a bad deal overall to have more people in the mix.

As far as tickets are concerned, it would be nice to have this ability. The DNR would be rich once I got done with the hooligans around me. But again, I simply don't know this yet.

My nephew is going to school to be a CO and part of his training was working in the state parks/campgrounds. He did mention they were writing tickets for certain violations.

I will be in contact with the training officer for more details and can post back when I'm smarter.

I'm happy the state is going on with this program. My guess, I could see the Ambassadors writing maybe non-paying citations (official written warnings) and then after so many, the rider's in serious trouble financially. Just a guess.

I doubt they will want volunteers writing tickets. Would the state be liable if a Ambassador got into a argument with a violator and either was seriously injured?. Way back in the day I was a St.Paul Park Ranger and the only thing we could write a ticket for was a dog not on a leash. I didn't even bother with it. Maybe they should give them video camera so they can catch them in the act and then give it to a CO to issue a citation.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
I'm not sure of the intention of this or what's going on here. confused.gif

I don't either.

This thread was intended to be informational. Let's keep it that way.

Here is the reply that I received today from the DNR:

Dave,

I have you signed up for the training on the 31st. The trail ambassador program is strictly a information and education program done on the trails by qualified, trained volunteers. The trail ambassadors are not law enforcement and are directed not to take any law enforcement action. They will be acting as eyes and ears on the trails for the DNR recording trail conditions that need attention, invasive species locations, and public contacts. Hope that helps, if you would still like to discuss the program further you can try me this Wednesday, I'll be back in the office then. Thanks for your interest in volunteering,

Leland

Description: Volunteer Trail Ambassador Training Class

Date: Saturday, May 17, 2008

Class Time: 8:30AM - 6:30PM

County: St. Louis

Class held at: Hermantown Police Department 5111 Maple Grove Road, Hermantown

Pre-registration is required. There is no fee to attend. Individuals registering for this training must meet the following requirements: Must be 18 years of age or older.

Must complete the MN DNR ATV Safety Training CD. (available for free 1-800-366-8917)

Please bring a pen and your driver's license. Other training materials will be supplied. All individuals wanting to volunteer for the Trail Ambassador program must be sponsored by a local qualified organization.

Qualified Organizations:Qualified organizations, or sponsors, (i.e. local OHV clubs) are required to be current members in good standing of one of the following:

Qualifying organizations must be willing participants in the Trail Ambassador grant program. For more registration and information contact: Lt. Shelly Patten or [email protected]

Description: Volunteer Trail Ambassador Training

Class Date: Saturday, April 26th, 2008

Class Time: 9AM - 7PM

County: Beltrami

Location: Minnesota DNR Regional Office 2115 Birchmont Beach Rd NE Bemidji, MN 56601

Class held at: Conference Room Pre-registration is required. There is no fee to attend.

Individuals registering for this training must meet the following requirements: Must be 18 years of age or older.

Must complete the MN DNR ATV Safety Training CD. (available for free 1-800-366-8917)

Please bring a pen and your driver's license.

Other training materials will be supplied.

All individuals wanting to volunteer for the Trail Ambassador program must be sponsored by a local qualified organization. Qualified OrganizationsQualified organizations, or sponsors, (i.e. local OHV clubs) are required to be current members in good standing of one of the following:

Qualifying organizations must be willing participants in the Trail Ambassador grant program.

For more information contact: Lt. Leland Owens at 763-753-1887 [email protected] or Lt. Todd Manley at 218-566-2268 [email protected]