• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

snow yaking

once this new snow melts, there should be enough water to paddle on top of the ice, confused.gif\:\/

Just when I was getting all excited to get out and clean up the yak, this happens (snow 7+ inches in Eagan)!!!!!!!!!!!

That's absolute nonsense. I've had my solo canoe out 7 times, with the first being on Feb. 29th. I will be down at the river again tomorrow morning. There are getting to be too many motorboats on the Mississippi, but I still have the Minnesota to myself.

Hey Quetico - I've never fished the river or had my yak on a river, next time you go out, if you don't mind, can I tag along? The first time out I'd like to go with someone familiar with it.

Unfortunately I just use it for paddling. I usually paddle it solo in my Penobscot 17 for the workout. A friend of mine wanted to try fishing it. Your always welcome to join us but I wont claim to know any spots.

When its nice out on the MN in the cities, the power boats are horrible to us non-motorized craft. One day last summer I was nearly swamp after getting buzzed by high speed power boats.

Another great day on the river. Apparantly the fishing was pretty slow yesterday. I put in at Ft Snelling, took the channel around the back of the island and then down the Mississippi to the confluence. There were 3 boats fishing and 2 more that were pulling up when I started up the Minnesota. By the time I got around the island and down the Mississippi again, all 5 boats were gone.

Quetico is right about the boats in the summer. Maybe 1 out of 5 will actually slow down as they come zipping by within 30 yards of you. Only boats right now are on the Mississippi, and they seem to be a little more couteous. Dumping a canoe in this water must be on their minds a bit.

The other nice thing right now is the current. Neither river has come up much over the past few weeks. You dodge a few icebergs on the Minnesota, but the current isn't real strong in either river, yet.

Originally Posted By: Flatlander

The other nice thing right now is the current. Neither river has come up much over the past few weeks. You dodge a few icebergs on the Minnesota, but the current isn't real strong in either river, yet.

This is what I was most concerned about.

I would be game for that. I may have to run to Des Moines on Sunday, but if not Sunday would be great. Otherwise find a date later in the week or the first weekend of April.

Lets go hit the open water in the canoes and yaks.

The 5th or 6th should work for me. No plans yet. It would give me a chance to get the new license tags for the canoe. My only request is nothing too early in the am.

Pick the day and maybe aim for a 9am?