• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slug gun setup

Here is my situation. I will will be going to Iowa next December on a deer hunt. I live in northern Minnesota were we use rifles. So I am looking for a good slug gun setup.

I have a remington 870 express. I was thinking about putting a cantilever barrel on it. I was going to get a 2-7x33 scope for it. I was going to shoot winchester supreme gold partitions in 2 3/4. What do you guys think of this setup.

What barrel length should I get? What is a good scope? What is a good slug? I am up for any suggestions.

Thanks

Kyle

how far of a shot do you anticipate? The reason I am asking is do you need a 2-7 power scope? Going with the cantilever is a good choice, but as far as slugs go, it is like you deer rifle, it is going to shoot one better than the other. I shoot the Win. Supreme Gold partitions, but I wish it shot the honrady sst, those winchester rounds are over 3 bucks a shot....Of course when sighting in last fall, I hit a bowling pin from 100 yards with my slug gun and that slug. off of shooting sticks.

Get a rifled barrel, try a number of different slugs, and most of all, have fun. what part of Iowa will you be hunting in?

You are on the right track! picksbigwagon gave you good advice too.

I personally shoot an 870 with a Mossberg fully rifled cantilever barrel topped with a Nikon 2-7x32 scope. I am shooting Remington copper solids through it and its deadly accurate. The last buck I shot with at I shot at about 70 yards and it was a double lunger that also just clipped the heart. It turned and ran and stopped where it was about 65 yards away and I thought it was falling dead but it somehow stayed up so I thought OK I'll shoot you again and I freehanded that one (the first was leaning on a fence wire). The two slug holes were 3 inches apart entering on opposite sides of the buck and his entire boiler room was shredded to pieces. Heart and lungs just gone... its a deadly weapon and extremely effective out to 100 yards. The deer I shot before this one was 73 yards and it also took out both lungs and the top half of the heart. They are almost rifle accurate now and out to about 50-70 yards probably hit harder.

Good luck!

Since you already have the 870, go with the cantilevered barrel and a low powered variable scope. I use a 1.5X4.5 on my Ithaca Deerslayer II. With Federal sabots, that gun has shot one hole groups at 75 yards. Each gun is an individual, so try different ammo and see what it likes. It gets expensive, but why cheap on the ammo when the rest of the trip is expensive? Good luck. They have some big bucks down there.