• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Challenge: build me a Pitching&Flipping setup

BassProAddict

New to it...in fact never tried it.

I'm looking for a Pitching AND Flipping rod/reel setup.I'd like a good one but not an expensive one as I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it/be good at it.

Do I go for one of those BassProShops NITRO combos? do they allow for both techniques?

Or maybe you masters can help lil old me and assemble me one? What rod? Reel? Line?

Need help from the Jedi here \:\)

Hiya -

I think with either a 7' or 7'6" Shimano Clarus, and a Citica reel, you're right there in the ballpark.

One thing though - flipping and pitching with the same rod can be kind of a challenge. A rod long enough to flip with can sometimes be too long to pitch with. Some guys use a 7'6" for both, but I think for most guys 7' is about ideal for pitching (see the earlier thread on this subject for some more opinions). If I had to pick one over the other, I'd say lean toward pitching. You can make a 12 foot pitch easily enough, but can't make a 25 foot flip... Just a thought.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Originally Posted By: BassProAddict
For rods, I'm particularly interested in the Cabela's XML rod.What can I pair this up with and what rod length & action should I get?

Those are very nice rods, but they put you to $180 by themselves. If you are going to that level, I would go with a St. Croix Avid AVC70MHF. A lot of very good pitching guys use that exact rod. Or another would be Kistler Magnesium MgADFPSH78T Flipping-Pitchn' Stick. Very nice rods. For reels for pitching I like faster retrieves. My personal reel is a Daiwa Zillion 7.1. A more economical option is a Bass Pro Shops Extreme 7.1. My tourney partner has used one of them for two full seasons and it feels like brand new. Very nice reel for $60 or less when they have their spring sale. For like I like either 50lb or 65lb PowerPro. I like 50lb with my pitching combos and 65lb with my flipping rod.

If I had to buy a $60 reel for pitching right now I would look at the Abu Garcia Silver Max. It's super low profile like the Revo's and weighs only 7.9oz. As for a rod in the $140 range. The Shimano Crucial 7' medium heavy is about that price. I personally use a Kisler Magnesuim 7' heavy action Jig n' Toad special. It's $180.

I really love the St. Croix premier flipping stick. It runs $120 I think, but what an awesome rod (it is heavy though and feels like a pool cue). It depends what you want. I like the "softer" flipping sticks generally for shallow water because it doesn't horse them as bad, but deep water (+8ft) I like the premier.

I wouldn't go with a $60 baitcaster for a flipping stick, good chance it will break and you'll be buying a new one. I think you would be best off buying a shimano Citica, with the $30 mail in rebate, this reel comes to $90! Thats a steal for a reel that will last for years. The offer end April 30th though.

I've had a BP extreme reel on a flipping stick for 2.5 years now, 7.1 looks like [PoorWordUsage] cause Im tough on my equipment but performs flawlessly, this year I even lubed it, so it should be good for another 2 years grin.gif.... it was $45 on one of there spring sales!

My 02. worth. The reel is probably more important than the rod in flipping. This is usually a "short-line" presentation and usually with braid. So even a average rod with braid can be sensitive enough to detect the bite. When pitching the quality of the rod can become more of an issue. A number of anglers pitch with mono (big game) and some with fluoro. Pitching usually involves more distance so bite detection can become an issue. But the reel will take abuse, so get a quality one. More importantly purchase the reel first (get one that feels good in your hand off the rod) then match the reel to a rod and make sure that the two of them feel good when you play with them. No rubs, no sharp edges. Each of us has different size hands, palms and fingers so make sure the combo you put together feels right. That you can palm the reel if you pitch left-handed with a right hand reel, that your thumb or fingers can reach the spool release or the front of the reel if your a line holder. Make sure the comb's balances to your liking. Some people like a rod that is perfectly centered at the reel, some front heavy and some (me) rear heavy, does you wrist get tired after just a couple of pitches or flips. If it doesn't feel right keep seaching, trust me you will not use it as much as you should if it is hard or uncomfortable to fish with.