• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

atv's in the snow video

Roofer

This video was taken at my cabin in northern MN. It shows a little of the 4wd capabilities, but most of all it's just for fun. The music was chosen to remember a good friend who I haven't seen in awhile who used to make these type of videos.

Critique as you like. blush.gif

Nothing special, just threw it together quick. Turn your sound on and I hope you like it.

atv video

Almost forgot......The snow was hard on top and you would sink into it and all sugar underneath. On the sportsman I forgot to take the plow bracket off, so it doesn't have as much clearance as it should.

I had to buy an older Sony dcr-hc32 camera because they work with the helmet cams and have the lanc control. It is a mini DV model, and they work the best for offroad because they are so durable. They are kind of hard to find. I luckily found mine online and it was a display model.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
I'm guessing you're talking about Kurt in your top post? I remember he had that tune in one of his vids he shot.

Yep. grin.gif good ear and memory.

The Kawi made that popo look pretty pathetic in the snow! Talk about slow motion. The popo was having a hard time getting any speed going. I suppose it doesn't help that it weights over 100 lbs than the Brute!

and that's with 3wd!!

I had some of the popo in slow motion to show the wheels turning. The brute had the advantage of tires, no plow bracket, lighter, and more power. After watching it myself I noticed that the brute kept the front tires on top of the snow alot of the time. It would have been nice to see what other machines can do, but I only have two. \:\)

I have actually noticed this in deep snow with some other wheelers as well. Riding with a Kawi 650 with 26" Bighorns, a 1997 Polaris Explorer 500 with 27" 589's, and my 2005 Suzuki Kingquad 700 with 27" Mudhogs. The wheelers with higher HP and more torque seem to fair alot better in the deeper snow as like you stated they seem to float the front end and roost across the top of the snow.The popo was having a difficult time in the deep snow, and the Kawi did alright, but lacked the ground clearance. My wheeler did good, but it's kinda high geared so a little boggy in high range and 27" tires. The funny thing is that it would float across the snow better in high range than in low where it had more power.The snow we were in was about 3/4 of the way up on the tires.

They seem to do better "feathering" the throttle. The 650 would be fine as far as power, but the GC would be against it. The KQ has only one downfall, it needs more torque.

The snow, it varies so much this time of year. When the video was taken it was 35 degrees and the snow was melting on the top. The next morning you could have driven anything on top of the snow. It varies just as much or more than mud, but that's what makes it so challenging. I can't really say what is better than what because it changes so much this time of year. I do know, now, that the Bighorns are very good in the snow....period. The extra power, lighter weight, and the tires made a big difference that day.

Wasn't the '97 500 a SRA? I can't remember for sure.

The 97 was an IRS. Same as a Sportsman, without the handlebar headlight.They only made these for like 2 years I think. The Kingquad is so high eared in high.It'supposed to top out at 72 mph which it hits a limiter at.Mine will go 66 mph according to the speedo with 27" tires.I have the stockers for it which seem like air compared to the 27" tires. The stockers are so light and cheaply made it's pathetic.

I agree the KQ 700 is high geared, but that's why it hits 70. The low end lag is horrid, but it is one of the smoothest atv's I have ridden. Easy to steer, good ride, good mileage, good speed, good price tag! I have heard the new 750 is a tad better in the low end. The EFI really limits it right now with no good programmer for it. I also agree the tires are not very good at all on most machines stock.

Nice vid Roofer. Snow riding sure is a blast. I'd like to see your bighorns mounted up to the sportsman to see if it could stay on top of the snow better. Was that song by Everlast?

Thanks Bjjams. It would be interesting to see the bighorns on the Sportsman. It actually has more clearance, but it was my fault for forgetting the plow mount on it. A more even comparo would be with the SP800 HO and bighorns..........smells kinda somethingfishy.....haha

The sportsman does steer easier and has AWD though, so that was the advantages it had.

Love the birch trees. There was a ridge full of them out in some public land near there that we frequently hunted. It was really nice until the loggers took them all down. Now it looks like a wasteland.