• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Penn 105CS Reel - for Cats ?

Originally Posted By: Fisherman For a Lifetime
I have an extra Penn 105CS left over from Salmon Fishing in Alaska and wondering what you guys think of it for Catfishin'.

It's big, 20 Oz. & 5 Ball Bearings.

Here's a pic...

t_11150_01.jpg

Let me know what ya think as I am trying to keep costs down & still haul in some Cats - thanks.

I have one also,Its mounted on a 14' surf caster with 20lb test,works great I do try to avoid snags,and I use it for distance on bigger rivers.

Originally Posted By: Fisherman For a Lifetime
I bought 50Lb. Spiderwire Stealth HP Braid line - should work for it for Cats...

Dont see why it would'nt work,I dont string mine heavy cause I've level winds for heavy snag fishin,mines just distance.

That reel is probably just as heavy as some levelwinds others use.

Reel and line should work great, like stated above.

I do like the Power Pro a little better than Spider, because of the diameter and flexibility (IMO), but should work just fine.

Good luck..

Most things manufactured these days are made to International Standards. T%hat means there really isn't a lot of difference between one manufacturers product and another. SO long as things are fairly equal.

In my opinion so long as a reel is well made and holds sufficient line it will catch cats. Heck I remember someone telling how they landed a big Flathead on one of those little kiddie Mickey Mouse rods and reels. Catfish are not all that particular in my experience. I never met one yet who objected to what type of reel was used to wind the line in when it was caught!

I suppose what I am to get at here is to say that your Penn 105CS will catch lots of big beautiful catfish! I have used the same Abu Garcia Cardinal for years and years and it has always worked fine. Most Catmen worry too much about details and forget to KEEP THINGS SIMPLE!

Hope you catch lots of big Cats with that reel, Fishreman!

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes

All I need is another combo (BUT) I want to put together a good top end spinning rig. This new Penn caught my eye...

pennliveliner.jpg

Its a Slammer Live Liner. I want to match it up with a 8' Seeker....and that will put me well over $200 clams...and we all know that you need really expensive gear to catch those catfish.