• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer Boards......

eyehead

Hey,

This year I want to try out some different things and trolling with boards is defienitly one of them. Can you use the same boards you use for pulling cranks for eye's??? Also, what brand have you had good luck with for those of you runnung them??? Thanks for any help

Offshore boards no doubt about it. The inline boards while using the snaps that have the pegs in them work great. Let the board stay on the line the whole time and when the board gets to the boat have your buddy pull the board off the line as you move forward. It really works well.

I have messed around with the big daul board and mast system in the front of the boat and it is a mess every time. Fish is tangled in the cable, other boaters drive into the cable, anglers are caught in the cable ans the worst is losing track of the cable after a fish and finding it with the prop.

Go inline boards. The offshore rigs (Yellow ones) work great for most musky and pike tackle.

You can use the same boards as you would use for walleyes. They'll pull your lures off to the side nicely. You just can't go fast with big, hard pulling lures.

I have offshore boards for walleyes and Lk Superior trout/salmon. I've used the same boards trolling for muskies. Last year I got a Big Bird board and put a heavy duty Scotty release on it. The big bird is handles higher speeds and bigger baits a little better. If you want to pull big baits (10" Jakes, etc) fast (5 mph) then you'll probably want to use a mast and big board (not inline) set up. The inline boards are much more user friendly, IMO.

Good luck.

Bigger then 44 as the ruler was broke off at 44 from getting stepped on. We estimated a solid 45, just a good picture.

What is cool about that fish was it was number three in the 40" range in a twenty minute window in 12 inches of water

Holy smokes! That's a lot of big fish fast. No wonder the ruler got stepped on.

That's a great pic and a very nice fish. I know it's hard to tell from a pic, but I would have guesstimated at almost 50".

Hiya -

I use the Church Tackle boards. Easiest to get on and off and they don't slip or bury when pulling bigger baits in rough water. Really had disappointing results with the Big Bird boards. Offshores aren't bad but need to change the releases.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hi,

I have to echo RK, quite honestly and most likely since I learned from him..... Walleye Boards from Church Tackle are the best, Offshore ending up costing more in release clips big enough for the muskie stuff.....

I gave my "mistake purchases" to my fishing buddy and we did well on Lake Michigan with them, so all is not lost!

00000029.jpg

Thanks guys!!! I went to sportsman's today and picked up a couple of Church Tackle boards. I figured if RK likes them they are plenty good for me. So im taking it that the clips are good enough for musky gear on these boards???

That's a nice fish cjac

For most applications, yes, however, pending on weather conditions (wind) and lure size it might not hurt to grab one more set on the heavier side.

Yep, fun trip! My buddy has a 25' Sportcraft we run out of Algoma. Just wanted to show I do know how to run boards!