• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hello! Looking for bass fishing friends this year

Chris519

Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for a long time and I thought I would actually sign up and post something.

I too am a bass fishing addict. I fish alone a lot. I get out 50-70 times a year but have trouble finding people that want to fish. Do you guys fish alone mostly? I do fish with my girlfriend sometime and a few buddies here and there. But most of them gasp when I tell them I get up at 3:30 to go to the lake in the summer. How many of your wives/girlfriends are willing to get up at the crack of dawn? \:D Actually, she met me on the lake later in the morning a few times. But, I probably fish alone 75% of the time.

I would say I am an above average bass fisherman but not a pro like Dietz, Fluker, Bass N Spear, Agape and some of you others. (I didn't mean to leave any of the great sticks out! ;\) )

I try all of the techniques. My favorite one would be pitching a super hog into thick cover with 30# power pro and ripping them out. The other technique I really love is throwing the zoom horny toads is the pads. My weakness is deeper water, like 15' and deeper. But, I am getting a lot better with jig worming and drop shotting. Plus, I just got a new Lowrance net system with an X27C and 520C. It is sweet.

My attitude on the water is that I can always learn something. I like to be confident yet humble. It's always fun trying to figure the fish out.

I watch all of the bass shows (I DVR them). I have too much tackle like most of you. I have too many cranks, plastics, rods, reels, jigs, top water, jerkbaits, etc. Yep, I am a die hard! I am a shimano rod and reel guy. I use XT and power pro. I am still experimenting with flurocarbon. I gave up on it twice but keep trying it.

Anyway, I hope I can fish with some of you this summer. I always have room in the back of my Ranger. I have been blessed with the good fortune of being able to afford a nice boat.

Sorry to ramble on so much...It's good to be here!

Chris

Chris, welcome to the bass forum, great to have you with us! Hey now, easy with the term pro... I dont use that word about myself, nor should you.

we all just enjoy sharing what works for us and what maybe doesnt on this forum.

Again, a huge welcome, and I really look forward to reading your posts. I always feel I have a ton more to learn, I am sure I will be able to pick some things out of your posts!

Take care!

Deitz

Hey Chris,

Welcome to FM. Great to see you join our awesome family here! You are going to be able to meet some awesome people here and get to talk fishing all the time. Like dietz said, watch that pro team talk stuff.

This place is all about having fun and talking some fishing! Glad your apart of the family, and look forward to talking/meeting with you

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the family. Thats pretty much what this place turns into after you have been here a while. Fishing with guys you meet on here is a great experience, I have had the opportunity to fish with a few and it is fun. I would be up for a ride on the back deck of a Ranger anytime, as I normally fish my 14' Lund. I was on the water a lot last year, and hope to be out just as much this year. If you are up for it, you should try to make it to a couple of the FBL events on Tuesday nights in the NE metro area. There is a post about it in East Central Lakes.

Now that you have started posting, you will soon become addicted like the rest of us. Thanks for sharing a little info about yourself.

Welcome Chris. Unlike Deitzy, I am a pro. Ha ha, just kidding. I'm far from it! There are some good sticks on the board and there are also some guys with asweome knowledge who might not be great sticks only because they don't have the time to spend on the water to implement what they know fully. Regardless, there is a lot of good info that passed through here.

I used to fish a lone a lot more than I have recently. Mainly due to gas prices. It just easier to split gas with someone. However I have the luxury of working 4x10 weeks, so I usually fish Friday's alone as many are working. Although I wouldn't want to do it all the time, I love fishing alone. For one, it's peacful and you can completely concentrate on what you're doing and what you're trying to learn. You can also do what you want, when you want, even if its the wrong thing. We all know that we learn just as much (if not more) when we do the wrong thing, and practice time on the water is the best time to do that.

However sometimes you get in the rut of doing the same thing over and over again. When you fish with someone else, especially with a different style, you take yourself out of your comfort zone and force yourself to learn something new. You'll always have your strengths, but you become more well rounded. Many guys start off as shallow fisherman. I'll bet more often than not, those "deep" fisherman fished with someone who forced them to do it and that is how they got started. I know how that's how it started for me, only deep was about 40-60 feet back in Missouri. So this 15'+ deep you have up here came naturally to me when I moved up.

I'd highly recommend a couple things. 1 is to try and fish the FM events that they have each year. It's a great way to meet guys on here. 2 is to join a club where you draw different partners each tourn. I promise you that EACH tournament you have you'll learn something (albeit sometimes its what NOT to do).

What lakes do you fish? I end up fishing on my own often, too. I still enjoy myself or I wouldnt do it but its also nice to get out with a partner.

Like others stated once the season approaches lots of opportunites come up for fishing with other FMers.

What lakes do you frequent?

Like the rest, I usually fish alone as well...

Like some I am also a teacher and always looking to partner up for tourneys, or a day on the water. I got a big boat and there is always room, or I like to ride along. June-August = Bass I think someone already side that but I agree with that statement.

Hit me up!

[email protected]

ALL-IN

I listened to Mike Frisch give a talk at Cabelas this past weekend and he said he used to be a teacher and the best part about it was June, July and August... Gives time for those good hobbys! Although the pay isnt good enough to pay for all those hobbys!

ALL-IN

Thanks for the nice welcome. It looks like there are some great people here.

As far as lakes I like to fish: The Chisago lakes area is my favorite. I like many in the area. I fish White Bear, Big Marine, Demontreville, some lakes south by Faribault, and even Minnetonka and around it. I have a love/hate relationship with tonka. It's too busy for my taste but the fishing is good. I also fish the river in the spring. I am open to trying new lakes as well. I went to Vermillion for a week last summer. That was my best trip for sure. Smallies and largies all over the place! Which reminds me I want to go back to Mille Lacs. It has been a few years...

I will have to fish with some teachers this year. I am jealous of you guys that get to fish for months in a row M - F!

I would like to try a FM event this summer. It would be fun.

I did fish tournies for 2 years. I had a mixed experience. I learned some things.

I just got back from the auto show tonight. I was looking at new trucks. Dangerous but fun! grin.gif

Hey Bass -n- spear,

It's quite what? Quite relaxing, quite enjoyable, quite entertaining, quite what? grin.gif

I thought for sure one of he "teachers" would have picked up on that. Most not be any english majors.

quiet >adjective (quieter, quietest) 1 making little or no noise. 2 free from activity, disturbance, or excitement. 3 without being disturbed or interrupted: a quiet drink. 4 discreet, moderate, or restrained. 5 (of a person) tranquil and reserved. >noun absence of noise or disturbance. >verb chiefly N. Amer. make or become quiet.

-PHRASES keep quiet refrain from speaking or revealing a secret. on the quiet informal secretly or unobtrusively.

-DERIVATIVES quietly >adverb quietness >noun.

-ORIGIN from Latin quies 'repose, quiet'

Originally Posted By: grab the net
Hey Bass -n- spear,

It's quite what? Quite relaxing, quite enjoyable, quite entertaining, quite what? grin.gif

I thought for sure one of he "teachers" would have picked up on that. Most not be any english majors.

quiet >adjective (quieter, quietest) 1 making little or no noise. 2 free from activity, disturbance, or excitement. 3 without being disturbed or interrupted: a quiet drink. 4 discreet, moderate, or restrained. 5 (of a person) tranquil and reserved. >noun absence of noise or disturbance. >verb chiefly N. Amer. make or become quiet.

-PHRASES keep quiet refrain from speaking or revealing a secret. on the quiet informal secretly or unobtrusively.

-DERIVATIVES quietly >adverb quietness >noun.

-ORIGIN from Latin quies 'repose, quiet'

Funny stuff.

I've been following this post with interest. I am also a teacher, so I have more free time during the summer than most. I would also be more than willing to let someone come along (or join along with someone else...especially if he's got a nice boat!). I am kind of a noob when it comes to largies...I think the deepest I've ever caught a bass (on purpose) is in 8 feet of water! (Man, saying that on this board is embarrassing.) Most of my fishing is for walleyes on Mille Lacs (until July 4) and then smallies on the river and Mille Lacs after that, so feel free to send me an email at [email protected] if either of those trips sound fun. I'd love to learn some stuff from any of you!

Carl

Let me add a welcome also! Like many have said, great place to learn and share. I also find myself fishing alone more than with someone else but joined a club and over the past 3-4 yrs have fished with many people and have learned tons from them and taught them a few things too.

Wish I was a teacher!!!! Used to be and, to be honest, have thought about getting back into it for the summers!

Take a friend fishing....................it helps pay for the gas

'just kidding' It is nice to fish alone in the solitude of one's own thoughts,but when the bite is tough it also helps to have a partner working another presentation to see what works best.

Chis welcome to FM..........