• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outdoor Storage Shed

1runhotshot

I'm looking for a 10'x12' (Or about that size) shed to put basic lawn lower and gardening items in. Here is the question, are the products that Menard's or Home Depot carry good enough quality or should I go to the shop's that specialize in such a item? I know the box stores will probably be less expensive but not sure on quality.

the stuff at Menards, HD etc are all constructed with very cheap material. I would go with a specialty place. OR if you go with a box store product, what I've done in the past, is get better quality material were / and as needed. ie: flooring, roof sheathing. And add extra hardware to add strength.

If I was to do it over, I'd have a better and larger barn style designed and stick built in my yard. You can get the rafters and other parts at most of the big stores. HD has one on display that's about 12 x 20 and tall. A person could modify one like that to make it long enough for the boat, stuff and a spot for the cooler.

In my opinion, if all your really going to use it for is to store your mower and various lawn/garden stuff, the ones you can buy at Menards are good enough. Below is a pic of one I built at my old house about 7 or 8 years ago. The pic was taken right before we sold the place and I thought it held up pretty darn well. I think it was 10 by 14...but not for sure...could be 10 by 12. It was big enough to store my lawn mower, snow blower, portable fishing shelter, lawn furniture and a whole lot of other junk. It was awesome to have as I only had a single stall garage at that time....thus it opened up a lot of space....sort miss my little man cave.

I bought it at Menards and they delivered the kit to my home within a week. I built it over the course of two weekends and it was pretty rock sound. The only thing I would do differently is perhaps put down a cement slab. I bought their floor kit which was just green/pressure treated lumber and I just used sand and pavers as the base it sat on. It did shift after a couple of winters...as it was sitting in a low spot in the back yard. I put in the two windows and flower boxes just to give it some charm....and I could hang out inside and hide from the wife. The city assessor thought it was a doll house....so I guess it was pretty girly.

I might add that I have no carpentry skills to speak of. This was truly my first project that involved any type of skill and I thought it went up pretty easy. Considering it was once just a pile of lumber in various bundles in my front yard.

180717stsouth006.jpg

I used The Shed Shop to put up a 10 X 12. Very nice barn style with loft on both ends. I had them do one loft, then I put up the othre plus another width wide shelf. Had to keep it under 125 sq. ft. in Minnetonka or else get a building permit. Of course now I wished I would have gone 12 X 16.

I put up a 8x16 shed from Menards that came as a kit about 12 years ago and it is still in very good shape except for a couple of self induced cracks in the vinyl siding. When I purchased I was told to spend the extra money for an overhead roll up door and that is well worth the extra money. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase another one, besides it's a fun project building it. Remember to include the wife and kids if you have any.

In 1995 I bought and built a 12 X 12 shed kit from Menards. It is still in excellent shape. The wife and I built it following their directions in two weekends. I live in Duluth with in sight of Lake Superior and we get some very cold, wet and sometimes violent weather. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase materials from Menards. I bought my garage kit and most of the materials to finish my basement from them. Make sure you are the one to pick the materials out of the pile.