• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Worms versus Grubs

BassProAddict

I've never been a fan of grubs.I don't even know when and where to use 'em.Needless to say I prefer worming.

Questions:

Are they to be used the same way,same times same places?

Does one have an advantage/purpose more than the other?

What would be good sizes,colors preferred brands for grubs?

Grubs: Swim it, dropshot it,bottom-drag it?

Which is better when biting gets tough? ( I heard grubs are)

Well, grubs can be fished a ton of different ways.. They can be fished the same as a worm, when conditions are tough, high pressure, you can fish it the same way you would a worm.. Or you can swim it more. Which I tend to do. The advantage of a grub is its a smaller presentation when conditions are tough. Good sizes?... 3" 4".. I use MisterTwister and Kahlins. Yes, Swim it, bottom drag it, I have not drop shotted a twister tail grub before, but have d-shotted a paddle tail grub...

Color.. black, white, pumpkin, smoke...

my very first bass tournament I ever fished, conditions were ultra tough, it was over in WI, ice had went off thelake only like 2 weeks before the tournament. It was like 40 degrees that day and really blue bird skies, high pressure. I took second place. Fishing a grub... know what first place had on?... A grub... we were the only two that had on a grub that day...

On a swimming jig.. I usually use a 1/4 oz jig and skirt.. much like a jig-pig.. but use a grub instead of a craw pattern... then I fish it much like a spinnerbait...

Othersiwe I like 3" and 4" grubs on mushroom head jigs.. 1/8 oz more often than not.. but sometimes go lighter or heavier depending onthe depth and the wind. I have not texas rigged them with a sliding sinker.. just usually a jig head.

Sure I'll rip it at times.. But if I am going to fish a shakey head, I will often opt for a longer (6")straight tail worm... I would say a grub imitates a leech or minnow. But with bass, it really doesnt have to imitate anything. They are very curuious, and dont have fingers to pick it up to look at it.. so they put it in their mouth!.. DONE!!

Think about it.. what does a sweet bever lure immitate? What does a brush hog immitate?... Things dont have to immitate something to be effective.

Hiya

I fish a lot of smallies, so this affects my answer a little, but... I have a grub rigged on at least one rod at all times. Especially for lake smallies, it's almost always the first rod I grab, especially if I'm in search mode. Smallies are different, and a horizontal swimming grub is deadly when they're looking up feeding on minnows.

I use a variety of flavors, but particularly like 5" Kalins, Berkley 4" Power Grubs, Yum Muy Grubs, and Northland Slurpies. The Northland Dean Rojas grubs have some awesome colors.

Depending on the situation I may rig them on a Northland Jig Worm head (mushroom head) from 3/32 to 3/16 oz, on a ball head (I really like the Owner ballhead) up to 1/2 oz, a Northland Jungle Lock jig for fishing in cabbage or rushes. A really great grub jig is the Bait Rigs Grubmaster, which is a hook with the lead molded along the hook shank, so you can insert it into the grub. It swims horizontally, falls horizontally (with some grubs they'll spiral just like a tube), and with translucent grubs like smoke or clear, you can get some really funky color combos. Love the things...

For Largemouths I do fish grubs a lot too. Going down a weedline with a 4" grub on a 3/32 oz mushroom head is a good way to catch pretty much every species in the lake. They can also be great cold front baits. Fish them on a light head and basically just glide it along, fishing the weight of the jig. A 4 or 5" grub on a Northland Jungle Lock jig is also a VERY good bait for skipping under docks...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Originally Posted By: BassProAddict
I've never been a fan of grubs.I don't even know when and where to use 'em.Needless to say I prefer worming.

Questions:

Are they to be used the same way,same times same places?

Does one have an advantage/purpose more than the other?

What would be good sizes,colors preferred brands for grubs?

Grubs: Swim it, dropshot it,bottom-drag it?

Which is better when biting gets tough? ( I heard grubs are)

It's been a few years since I've bass fish, but...I find:

Grub's (not tubes) are better at swimming, okay at dropshot, but not so good at deadsticking?, wacky rig, or shakyhead.

When bites are tough I like those ribbed grubs, I can't remember what they're called, pulse worms I think.

I like grubs in the spring. Pool 2 on shore and you'll catch crappies, walleyes, sheepies, catfish, smallies, pike, and maybe even a carp. Use the lighest jig you can get away with and cast, let it sink a bit then reel slow. I like Gulp and so do the fish. The powerbait is another good option. Kalins are good for fall and they make awesome colors and come in 5". In the spring I stay small like 2" and 3" grubs, but more so 2".

White is a good color. Black and yellow is another, and can't go wrong with green either. The mister twister black and yellow were hot a few yrs ago on pool 2. Big Mike had a mongo sheepie that day. Ahh fishing memories.

Grubs work!

I like a 3 or 4 inch grub, usualy a big fat one. On a bitsy bug as a trailor for my skip bait for under docks etc. It also works well for fishing smallies in rivers and swimming.

I dont use them other than that, mabe I need to expand my horizons.