• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Florida tips

ocf1

So im one week i will be arriving in FL for spring break, and our resort just happens to have an 80 acre lake on it. I have limited room seeing we are driving there so what baits/tackle should i bring, and also what should i be looking for in catching them? Is it good time to look for the spawners?

Sounds like what I did once upon a time a few years ago. I was warned the female alligators are on their nests this time of year but I still brought my waders and a float tube and pitched lizards all over the shallows. I had to make my way through some thick water hyacinths but I kept my eyes out for gator eyes peering out! No snakes either.

The weather did a 180 (for the worse) when I arrived and most of the spawning beds were made but only had little males on them. Still, I did catch the infamous Florida strain bass. Since I needed to be mobile on the float tube I brought one rod, some essential small terminal tackle, and a really small plano insert with like my go-to dozen baits. I ended up fishing plastic lizards mostly and had plenty of action on them. Supposedly salamanders and waterdogs are big egg predators, so its a bass instinct to move them off the nest and destroy them.

Good luck and get some pictures.