• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-3, fl-18, ice machine

Dan DAN the fisherman

Lets get this discussion going again. I'm in the market for a new flasher this season, so let it rip. I want to here all the pros and cons about all three. There probably isn't anyone who has tried the Ice Machine yet , but it sounds interesting. Just worried about cold weather performance. Vexilar I know has great Tech support and has been a time proven product, but, Marcum is up and coming with great reports on the Lx-3 from last year. Please add your .02!!!!! Lots of money to spend on a product like these. So I need to be sure about what I buy. Thanks,
Dan DAN

------------------

Dan Dan - Wont find much info on the Lorance till the season gets going. Cant go wrong with either the lx-3 or the 18. I went with the 18 last year basically because of the luck I had with my fl-8. Both are pretty equal. The lx has a crisper thinner readout but the 18 is brighter. The lx has an adjustable zoom(not necesary in my eyes). IMHO they are both awesome tools for catching fish but neither one is gonna catch ya more fish that the other, period!!!

You have to ask yourself.. Do you want options with your unit? Do you want increased target separation? Do you like quiet units? Would you like a technically superior unit? How about a one stop auto matic charging system? or crisp thin line display? These are some of the questions that the FL-18 can't answer and the MarCum LX-3 can...FL-18 will give you a non adjustable 6' bottom only zoom... The LX-3 will give you multiple sized windows that you can place anywhere in the water column.
An important feature if you appreciate zoom performance. With regards to the zoom not being able to catch more fish yeah that's accurate but because I'm in zoom mode that means my target separation has increased. Having that zoom on carves up and amplifies your target. Honestly after running the MarCum you will be absolutely astounded it's just a great unit. I own both an FL-18 and a LX-3 and I ran em all winter, that's experience. Both units have a 2yr.warranty with great customer service. The MarCum company is growing more product in leaps and bounds offering two underwater camera systems mid dec. and with the addition to 03/04 season they have the LX-1 for $279 which is an LX-3 without zoom. An affordable option. How about the hand held extremely portable LXi flashlight style depth finder. Lot of options out there for you. Buy the LX-3!

I just have to say it,...Tim,..Darkcloud,..you two guys get my vote for the comedy team I would most like to fish with.( I'm not kidding all that much either smile.gif ). I figure things like this,..Just maybe if you guys get tired of catching all the fish you might let me have a couple in my bucket for a meal or two,huh?
As I started reading the posts I thought, "Oh no, here we go again" but you guys resolved things rather cleanly I'd have to say. Of course I didn't get a chance to see that missing post of Dark Clouds so who really knows. wink.gif
Nice work on the comparisons between the two main units. I am somewhat biased towards the Marcum brands myself although I am still running around with that Zercom LCF-40. Looks like she needs a new battery this year though.
I'm probably one of those guys you referenced Dark Cloud, because if I had to choose tomorrow between the Vex or LX3 I know it would be the LX3. I always choose versatility when the dollars are equal and the Marcum just seems to have more options available. Perhaps I just "don't get it." -TROY

PS- The "buzz stick" doesn't interest me though so I guess I'm learning.

You guys just don't know how lucky you are to have the great hard water fishing that you have. I'm stuck here in Colorado where 99% of the hard water season all we can catch is slimers(trout). Because our walleye and perch lakes only freeze for brief periods of time. We do have some very descent high country Pike lakes though. Thanks for your un-bios opinions on the Vex and Marcums. Keep catching those little eyes. Those perch are the tastiest ,thats for sure. I was out today in my boat and there are still crazys water skiing around here. Good fishing,
Dan DAN

------------------

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I see there are more who would like to comment on these units, so I'm bringing it back up.

Hey dan dan, To us here in MN a slimer is a pike...and a little one at that. I'd get the LX3. It defines targets better. I currently own both but never use the vex.

I held the LX-3 up to the FL-18 at the store, I and decided that I am going to stick with my FL-18. I like the brighter, 3 color display. I like the fact that it's quiter, and I don't mean the motor running (I think they are both loud) but the transducer. The extra power of the LX-3 makes for a very loud ducer. And the adjustable zoom didn't matter much too me. Zoom is great for perch and walleye fishing, on the bottom. (mostly on the bottom anyway).

That being said, if I was a strictly walleye guy, that fished deep during the day, I might consider the lx-3.

The LX-3 also has a great travel case.

Still, I'm an FL-18 man for now.