• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 rods in the boat...What are they?

Lunker

So in the past we had a 16 1/2 ft cajun and then a 21 1/2 ft stratos. With these rigs we had mucho rod storage, so we would have a ton of different combos rigged up for just about any situation.

Now fishing from our 14ft or my 12ft jon, I can't quite carry the arsenal I used to.

So if you had to carry 4 rod combos(or less) and still want to fish a variety of cover, what would they be?

I'm thinking 2 spinning rigs, 2 baitcasters. 1 lite spinning rigged with 6-8lb flouro for fishing small plastics and drop-shots, 1 med spinning with 10-12lb mono for larger plastics and small cranks and jerkbaits. 1 med baitcaster with 14-17lb mono for fishing larger cranks, spinnerbaits, and jigging around docks and sparse wood and weed cover, and 1 7ft med-heavy baitcaster with 30-40lb braid for fishing slop topwaters and jigs in the heavier stuff.

Those are my thoughts. What would you do?

first off, why are you in a jon boat now, and not in the bigger rigs.

I think you hit it right on the head, you have to carry just enough to make sure that you can cover all the areas. Spinner baits, soft plastic, cranks and a jig rod.

We've always had the 14ft, and I bought the 12fter a few years ago as a city lake boat/duck boat.

The big-rig was my brother's, and when he deployed for Iraq a couple of years ago he sold it. Man that was depressing... Now he's back but back in school and I doubt we'll get another rig for a while.

Lunker, If you still have all the combos from the old arsenal, I would let the lake and time of year help you decide what to pack for the day. If it's spawn time you might go with more spinning rods and bed fishing baits. If it's midsummer and the fish are buried in milfoil you might want 3 flippin sticks and 1 jigworm or carolina rig rod...

How is the wildlife mgmt field treating you? I am a mid 90's grad of the fish and wildlife program at the U of M. I'm curious about how things may have changed.

Totally with SuperDude on this... Time of year, and lake I will be going towould paly a roll in which 4 rods I would grab...Dont sell off the herd! Just use the ones you need that day. Heck, I'm in the same situtation somewhat.. I can get about 15 rods in the boat without causing harm to them.. but own more than that... I choose the ones I think I will use that day.

O, I won't sell off the herd, just can't carry it all without sinking the boat grin.gif.

Super, the wildlife studies are good. I am over at Stevens Point WI, and they have a great Natural Resource school here. I started off as a fisheries major, but the emphasis on chemistry and math as it relates to water quality and flow got me bored with the heavy science, which led me to switch to wildlife. Still a lot of sciences, but more emphasis on the habitat and the animals themselves, and that side of it interests me a lot more. I also have a law enforcement minor and plan to use that, hopefully in the enviromntal law enforcement field.

I usually only have four rods with me. I fish out of a 14' lund so I like to limit it to 4 rods max per a person to keep clutter at a minimum.

I usually have a 7' MH baitcaster with a some sort of plastic rigged up.

Another 7' MH baitcaster for a jig, spinnerbait, another plastic, whatever...

A 66 MH spin rod that between two spools I can dock skip (braid) or finesse fish (floro)

A 7' crankbait rod.

Depending on the lake I fish or if Ill be on me own I might switch for or add either a 7'6" H casting rod for slop or a 7' M spin rod for finesse.

Like Superduty and Deitz posted, it depends on the specific lake I am on,the cover conditions I am fishing,calendar period the fish are in.It's tough to go with just 4 rods at any time.

I like to be versitile, while keeping clutter to a minimum in my small boat, like others here, 14' lund. I have made a few mods that make it easier to keep clean that I can explain to others if they want to see it. But for me, it is these four.

6'-6" MH baitcaster usually rigged with a stickbait or small crank.

7'-0" M Glass crankin rod that doubles as spinnerbait duty.

6'-0" M Spinning gear for senkos and skippin.

4'-6" UL for playin with the little stuff. Finesse.

And don't nobody give me flack for the UL. I got my biggest pig on that sucker this year, right at 7 lbs.

I'd put my rods in the 12' and pull it behind the 14'. \:\)

Seriously - I agree with 2 spinning and 2 bc as follows...

1. Spinnerbaits/Cranks - should be able to cover both with a moderate/fast rod.

2. Dock skip/finesse/senko - 6' good fast tip with lots of backbone.

3. Jig n pig/worm rod

4. Jigworm/shaky - 6 1/2 or 7' medium with XF tip.

Easy,buddy,easy! grin.gif Hey, I got the Mississippi right out my back door,so yeah,I'm up for it.Seriously,nothin' wrong with a light action set up for finesse fishing.I just couldn't help myself. \:D