• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WolfTrack Classic sled dog races

After quite a few years without it, sled dog racing has come back to Ely today. The Wolf Track Classic is going on, with nearly 60 teams.

Here are some of the scenes from the morning. All shot with the 30D bodies and 100-400L IS or 17-40L.

Dog-out-carry.jpg

Dog-love.jpg

dog-jumps.jpg

Cabelas-musher-onlookers.jpg

very-goo-dstart.jpg

boy-points.jpg

wheel-dogs-going-by.jpg

white-dogs-mush.jpg

scudding-by.jpg

Watchers-background.jpg

Those are really great Steve!! I hope it was as nice there as it was here today (mid 30's). It looks like everyone was having a good time.

Thanks for sharing

Nice shots, Steve! I jumped on the snowmobile and found a spot down the trail with just me, the chickadees and an occasional sled dogger that came by! Just a few:

SD1.jpg

SD2.jpg

SD3.jpg

SD4.jpg

SD5.jpg

SD6.jpg

SD7.jpg

Canon 40D 100-400 mm at ISO 400, Tv priority 1/500 sec exp comp from 2/3 to 1 1/3

Thanks, guys! It was nice. About 30 degrees and light winds, with a bit of weak sun for the first couple hours of the day. I thought about getting out on the trail further down to get nice pics of just the mushers and their teams, but it seems like every time I do that with a subject, someone ends up asking me if I don't have images with spectators in them, too. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Great shots, Ken. How are you liking the 40D/100-400 combo?

Yeah, that versatility is what sold me on it four years ago and keeps me sold on it. The supertele and flexibility make it champs for any kind of outdoor photography at all, and quite a bit of indoor photography with some smart flash work.

Wonderful captures - thanks very much for posting.

I have a friend who raced her team up there today, I'm anxious to talk to her at school tomorrow to see how they did - I didn't see her in any of these photos.

Yeah, all my pics were of the 8-dog, round-trip race. Same number of pics as Ken, give or take. Several of the mushers were women. If your friend was in that race we might have a shot of her. If she was in the one-way race, sounds like we don't have an image to share.

Thanks so much for the offer! I'll see her in the morning and get her number. I'm not sure which race she did, I do know she was excited to be up there and running her team. It sounds like it was a great day in Ely.

Steve and Ken those are some really cool shots of the dogs like the third one Steve shot of the dog that wants a piece of somebody or the 5th one of Kens where all the dogs seem to be looking for a nice chunk of steak. Really makes me think I might have had more fun shooting instead of guiding grin.gif

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
When I count it comes out brewska, brewski, brewsktri, brewsquad. I call it the universal northeastern Minnesota language. Even the Bohunks understand what I'm saying. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hey us Bohunks can count just fine it's the order the numbers line up that confuse us grin.gifgrin.gif Even I understand the 4 brew therory and I don't drink. sick.gifsick.gif