• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camera purchase

That's great Jonny, I can't wait to see your work with the new camera. The smart alec in me has one question though. Dragging all those cameras along is kinda like dragging along lenses isn't it? Of course your get an image sensor with everyone of your lenses that remains relatively dust free. Maybe you are on to something there. Definitely faster on the draw than us lens changing fools.

I would love it sometime for you to do another series of shots of the same subject with all of your cameras at both min and max zoom. Maybe someday you'll find the time and inspiration. I

lol!...to answer the question of carrying "all" the cameras grin.gif....I have usually carried 2 cameras with me each time I walk down some logging trail or road,both have straps and carry one over my shoulder with the camera actually on my back,the other always "at the ready" in my hand...but you have to realize these cameras are around 1-1 1/2 pounds + apiece (or close)and not really that cumbersome at all....even with the teleconverters(which weigh in at about 6 ounces) which I carry in a bigger pocket if I need to "attach it" on sight...and also carry x-tra batteries(AA's) which the fuji's use and now need propritory batteries for the newer cameras but not a problem(have xtras)...if and when I know I will be using the digiscope,I'll be more then likely using the tripod with the digiscope attached and walk the trails but will know in advance what I plan on shooting that day......If I'm driving the roads,I take all the cameras(3) and lay them on the passenger side on the seat and grab the one that I think I will need to "do the trick" grin.gif...it works!,for me anyways grin.gif

added note:...the camera just arrived (FedX) and you're right confused.gifXT.I will need an adaptor for the teleconverter but I really don't think I'll be using it as the glass in it will only degradete ED glass in the camera's leica lens...why go backwards is my feeling...the tc 1.7 has always had some CA that I never did like....so I think I'll use it only for my old fuji's...plus with 18x zoom ,I don't think I'll even need the teleconverter...that's where the digiscope comes into the picture grin.gif

Wow, camera envy and I know nothing about cameras.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up shopping around and finaly made the decision to go cheaper since they sink no matter what. I did take a look at the Olympus 770 water proof/freeze proof. It is only freeze proof to 14 degrees, that is balmy for me and then I read a few reports that if the camera is in cold conditions it will take on moister that will never leave. For options I felt I could do more for less by getting a regular camera that actaully fits in my pocket. I ended up with Sony SD750. So far it appears to work out pretty good and I don't have to cry as much while I watch it flutter to the bottom of the lake...again. One thing that really impressed me for a cheap little camera was the Macro, it is extremly fine.

Thanks for all the help and advice I do apprecaite it.

JP, you got a good camera for your needs. And it'll be a good camera when you have to buy it again next year. Maybe you should just buy three of them at a time right now and see if you can get a bulk discount. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

OMG, Dude!

I'm on the same handheld GPS unit I bought five years ago! Maybe Garmin and Canon oughta come up with disposable cardboard GPS and digital camera units.

They could market them as the "Jonny Trash Lately" line. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Congrats on the camera, I can't wait to see the pictures.

I lost a GPS unit one, now I just sew all my pockets that are above my waist shut. I haven't lost another GPS unit, but I've been having trouble using the new unit now ;\)

Most cameras actually have a pretty high min temp. I think it is more to limit the liability just in case something happens. I know I used my Nikon at about -10 and it worked great. You wouldn't believe the temps Steve talks about traipsing around in. Good luck with the camera.

What gets me is leaving it in the plow truck overnight when it hit -30. I always put it in incase I see something cool or somebody lands a hog that they want to realease, of course at the end of the day I'm happy just to get myself in the house let alone the camera.

Yak, you are right on about minimum temps and liability. I photograph in -20 temps all the time and occasionally colder, but as you know that doesn't mean my camera is that cold.

I have a few tricks that work for someone who is dedicated to photography. When you are a fishing guide and you and your clients are banging around all over the place in really cold temps, photography is not the top priority.

I've shot almost all the Canon bodies, and the shutter will eventually stick and whine on any of them when the camera itself reaches a cold enough temp.

The most simple and effective method for walkaround nature photographers in extreme cold weather is to keep your parka unzipped down from your neck a foot or so and tuck the camera body into your chest, leaving the lens poking out. When an opportunity presents itself, pick the combo up and shoot away, and then tuck it back in until the next chance.

marlan, welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here! grin.gifgrin.gif

Can you be more specific? Quite a few digital P&S cameras can be dunked underwater, but are you talking about serious underwater photography? Do you have a camera yet? If so, which model?

If we know what type of shots you want, we can help better. For example, you can buy/rent underwater camera housings that will allow you to shoot underwater with standard cameras.

Which is better? Depends on your budget and needs.

JP, we'll be anxiously awaiting some macro shots. Aren't new toys fun? \:\)

Speaking of GPS receivers, my Garmin just died last week. I wasn't too heart broken. I'd had it for around 15 years. Handheld units hadn't been on the market all that long, and I paid over $400 for it. Of course it was monochrome and tracked just 8 satellites. However, it kept me from getting lost. I just picked up another one on hsolist. It's just one of them things you can't live without. ;\)

Just got done taking a couple images with the new Lumix!...had to go pick up a 2g card at wally world...had a problem with the 4 gd "sdhc" that I originnaly tried but it wouldn't work! confused.gif...but the 2gSD does!...go figure!.......spent the majority of the morning trying to figure out what the heck was going on here but ...whatever...lol grin.gif....straight out of the camera ,no processing....looks like it'll do ok,that Leica lens seems to work!...no digital zoom added here but I could I guess...to something like 28x zoom,not sure if I'll ever need or use it grin.gif

first wide angle shot"28mm"

P1010004copy.jpg

and at "504mm"

P1010005-2.JPG

Wow Jonny, That's really great. That thing will sure reach out and touch something won't it. Your new digi cam is going to feel left out now.

That sure looks good and sharp!!

Point and shoots have certainly come along ways for sure!...I noticed immediately on the full zoom shot almost no "CA" and no "barreling" and the sharpness of the tree branches against the snow...I did have the camera set on the "anti shake/vibration" mode ...one almost has to at that power I guess.... the pic was hand held which I couldn't do with my digiscope at full zoom and get the same clear results.... won't be stuffin this camera in your shirt pocket though grin.gif...yes,this will be my "everyday" camera to tote in the weekend nature outings...still aways to go to catch up to the digiscope!...being 2,016mm!....