• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

south metro trout streams

FishOn!

Can anyone tell me some general area information on fishing trout on the vermillion river, or near cannon falls? No spots necessarily, just where to park and walk. I have an uncle that is coming for a visit in july, and hes going to teach me fly fishing basics. Just need a place to show him that there are trout in minnesota!

I'd drive a little further south and go down to the whitewater or root river system. The vermillion is not a fly angler's paradise, as it is often turbid, lots of deadfalls, and public access being a major deterrent. The river is more suitable to spinning gear. The DNR has been trying to buy easements to increase access on the river, but it is still no walk in the park.

If you want a chance to catch some trout on the fly in MN, go down to the SE. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Thanks alot guys! Deadhead, where can you access the vermillion anyway? I also found a spot somewhat close called trout brook. Anyone ever tried it? Hey deadhead, also, is your name in referance to the grateful dead?

Originally Posted By: FishOn!
Thanks alot guys! Deadhead, where can you access the vermillion anyway? I also found a spot somewhat close called trout brook. Anyone ever tried it? Hey deadhead, also, is your name in referance to the grateful dead?

check out this map. and yes my name is in reference to the DEAD. \:\/

Trout Brook was one of my hush hush spots till about10-12 years ago It was made into a park,But try it it was excellent!! 10-14" brookies and a few Browns bout same in size,My largest brookie came from where it enters the Cannon river 4 lbs 12 oz.

Thanks alot guys! Deadhead, I just barely missed out on seeing them when Jerry was alive. but Ive seen them alot after Jerry. Just a little young for the tail end of Jerry's wonderful run! I have to enjoy it through dozens of live cd's! I guess we share alot of the same passions! Fishing and the dead! Thanks for the map as well. I saw that one before, just couldnt find a fishable spot on the vermillion. I really need to check the reg book as well, because I dont really understand the winter season. And Sparce, thats a HUGE brookie! what a dream!

thanks for the map. DH... All very good suggestions, trout brook is accesible and very fun, thats where many many people have learned to fly fish. Stay low and unseen by the fish and you will do well. FishOn, shoot me an email jasonyoungquist at yahoo

FishOn!, sounds like we are near the same age. I was on the tail end of things as well. I was gonna go to the Soldier Field show with some buddies since that was the closest they were gonna be to MN, but had to back out. bummer it was their last show....

Nothing like listening to a good show before going fishing to get pumped!

here's the pages I was looking for:

East Metro Fishereis Vermillion River homepage

Vermillion River map

which maps are you talking about? the DNR trout stream booklet maps? Those maps can be found online here.

More specific information about North Shore streams can be found here.

Bemidji Area info here.

If you're looking for info on the Straight, Cat Creek or other trout streams in the Park Rapids area, you're out of luck.

you guys need to make sure you drop me a line when you're on your way up here to fish ;\)

i have fished the vermillion river multiple times and have done very well too,

I enter the river in Rambling River Park in farmington and walk down and up stream from there

I also have a question about the vermillion River if any of you could answere that would be great

I have heard form multiple people that this river supports one of the biggest trophy trout populations in the state and heard stories of browns up to 12Lbs come out of there, I cant seem to pull a trout out voer 18in. i was just wondering if any of you knew if the stream actually supports these monsters?

Thanks

yes the stream supports lunker browns, but of course the average angler will never likely catch one. Even an expert for that matter, as there's a reason they got that big to begin with. If you hit the bush with bass gear to get into those logjams and rootwads you might be able to pull one of those monsters out from the deep. but 6x tippet won't likely cut it.

they stock the park in farmington with rainbows, to increase angler success, especially for youth anglers. The furthur downstream you get, the difficulty factor increases in catching fish.

I forgot to mention, the proof is in the pudding. TU and the DNR have electroshocked the Vermillion and that's where they discovered the beastly browns. they might still have info/images up at the twin cities TU chapter HSOforum.

Originally Posted By: Lubey
i have fished the vermillion river multiple times and have done very well too,

I enter the river in Rambling River Park in farmington and walk down and up stream from there

I also have a question about the vermillion River if any of you could answere that would be great

I have heard form multiple people that this river supports one of the biggest trophy trout populations in the state and heard stories of browns up to 12Lbs come out of there, I cant seem to pull a trout out voer 18in. i was just wondering if any of you knew if the stream actually supports these monsters?

Thanks

I fished the Vermillion since bout 1959 and yes HUGE Browns,Luckly my Uncle was a trout & Bass guy,Thats also how I fished Trout Brook,I saw him bring home 10-12 lb Browns to eat.I could,nt go because he only went there at night with his Bass rig,steel pole/nucklebuster reel,I did catch some 2-4 lbers daytime early morn,Since word really got out a few years back I quit goin there,I also live further away now.But try it night walk it daytime to find good spots,try small rapalas & spin gear.

Originally Posted By: DEADhead
which maps are you talking about? the DNR trout stream booklet maps? Those maps can be found online here.

More specific information about North Shore streams can be found here.

Bemidji Area info here.

If you're looking for info on the Straight, Cat Creek or other trout streams in the Park Rapids area, you're out of luck.

you guys need to make sure you drop me a line when you're on your way up here to fish ;\)

WILL DO DH

Deadhead, Thanks a bunch for all the maps and links! Very helpful. As for the age, Im 30, so I was a junior in high school when Jerry died. I would love to try fishing the northwest portion of the state! I always fish the northeast and the metro. I did spend a few weekends as a young teen in the Vergas area. Some friends had a cabin on Long Lake. We also fished Lida and Lizzie, and I believe Star. Lots of fish up there!! Or was anyway! Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: FishOn!
Deadhead, Thanks a bunch for all the maps and links! Very helpful. As for the age, Im 30, so I was a junior in high school when Jerry died. I would love to try fishing the northwest portion of the state! I always fish the northeast and the metro. I did spend a few weekends as a young teen in the Vergas area. Some friends had a cabin on Long Lake. We also fished Lida and Lizzie, and I believe Star. Lots of fish up there!! Or was anyway! Thanks again!

I'm 31, and had just graduated HS when jerry passed. I was psyched to go see the Dead in college since they played the east coast quite a bit, then you know the rest of the story.

there is still plenty of fish inthe DL/Vergas area. If you are ever up this way let me know. three's some good smallmouth action on the Otter Tail River....

After dark,Thats the reason to scout during the day.Dont get lost! I've done it Ha Ha Ha.Walk in befor dark and start,dont disturb the fish too much.Leave markers where ya go in to see your way out even in full moon.