• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes in the River

In fishing a river I've been seeing some activity and bites in some deeper water during the day and going into the night.

But after it gets dark I don't seem to be getting the bites but I will see fish occasionally on my flasher.

Should I be moving shallower? If I'm getting bites during the day and leading into night on the same bait and nothing when it gets dark. Should I consider changing colors?

Does it matter if you have your LED lights on in your portable once it gets dark outside. Does it spook the fish at all?

I assume the river is dark water?? Maybe it's just not a good spot for a night bite, in a lot of the darker water I fish the bite is good during the day and fizzles big time at night.

I have LEDs in my house, when I walleye fish I have them on just enough to see the holes and bobbers or deadstick rod tips.

I would be moving shallower as the night goes on. You can/should be able to use the same bait you are using during the day.

Not sure what depths you are running in the day. Some rivers I fish we do well in the deepest parts-25'- and then move into 10-15' at dark and even shallower. All you can do is move in and see how you do. If you catch fish for a while and then they stop again, you can try moving shallower again.

I would try to have the holes pre-drilled so you are not scaring the fish when you are drilling after dark.

Good luck- getting in shallow can get you a monster at night!!

I would think it would be a forage problem not a light problem. If you have suspended shad in deep water, fish nearby. If they are after other forage like perch or minnows you might want to move closer in shore and fish off the weedlines.. I really don't think the light matters that much. After all, in a full moon situation the light is fairly constant and bright and we all know the full moon produces excellent fishing! The best times to fish are 3 days before the Full moon, The Full moon and 3 days after the Full Moon. 3 days before the dark of the moon, the dark of the moon and 3 days after the dark of the Moon according to what I have always heard. What are you fishing? live bait, jigs and plastics, cranks?

During the day they are probably down in the holes where the cooler spring fed water is relaxing and taking it easy. They are not in an aggressive feeding mode but you can still catch them if you toss a bait right in front of their nose. Walleyes are nocturnal feeders and aggressively feed at night. (Check your solunar tables for the best time to be on the water each day.) They do come in shore at night to feed on smaller minnows but may attack suspended prey in deeper water. It depends on the time of year and the availability of food. Study the prey and catch the fish, my Grandpa always told me and he was right!! At certain times of the year Walleyes, like any fish, will eat certain things. Then when a new season comes along they will eat other things. My advice is to fish shallower. But it will depend on where you are fishing and how deep you are fishing and what prey is available to what you want to catch.