• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring carp are around the corner!

Carp-fisher

Ok, I'm starting to get excited for spring carp fishing. In the past few years, I've had decent success within days of ice out. The big sows start cruising the shallows and aren't too difficult to catch. Anyone else getting excited?

The flyrod for carp sounds fun, but I've never tried it. Usually what I do is look for shallow areas where I can see carp jumping and/or cruising around. I then pitch corn on the bottom or corn suspended below a small float. I've experimented with different sorts of doughballs and jellow baits, but I've found corn hard to beat. Sometimes in the spring its not unusual for me to catch 20 or more fish in a few hours with the fish averaging 3 to 8 pounds with a decent shot at a 15+ each trip.

Originally Posted By: Carp-fisher
Ok, I'm starting to get excited for spring carp fishing. In the past few years, I've had decent success within days of ice out. The big sows start cruising the shallows and aren't too difficult to catch. Anyone else getting excited?

yeah I've been excited since first-ice. Unfortunately, I still have a couple of more months up here before the slughs and lakes start to lose their ice...

Help...Anyone know of a good spot for fly fishing for carp in the DL or park rapids area?? Ideal after ice out sight casting however I could try river/creek casting b4 ice out?? (just to get out b4 I go loco) Thanks

bored with new 8wt

DBLTAPN,

drop me an email (listed in my profile). not too many good spots around DL, at least none that I have found yet. Best bet is down near fergus. I've also got a new 8wt that is itching to be casted...