• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

testing new scanner

Looks good to me Hans. All except the Carleton shirt. My Dad and grandpa and great uncle were St. Olaf grads. Um Ya Ya! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Not sure if the lint and stuff on the image is from scratches in the neg/slide or from actual lint/dirt. A bit of time to clean off a neg/slide pre scan saves a lot more time removing dust and lint specks later in pp.

But it sure looks like the scanner's doing nice work for you. Good color here and nice detail. Not to mention it's just a cool shot.

The wrinkle and the scratches in the photo at the top lead me to believe that it is from an scanner/copier not a negative scanner. But it looks like it does a fine job scanning photos. I've scanned a couple of images with our scanner and have been pretty happy with them.

Just testing the scanner on this one. The photo was taken with a disposable. I always make sure to have one in every tacklebox. The crumpled picture has been lying around since last years opener. I like the expression on the brother who didn't catch the fish as much as his older brother who did. I'm an absolute computer ludite and have hired a local high school kid to show me the ways. I promise I won't do all my experimenting on this forum, but couldn't think of a better place to start.

My sister is an Ole as well, and my kids go to Football camp there in the summer. It kills me to see them running around in Olaf jerseys. We beat the Oles when I played, but its been 11 years since we had a victory and last year Carleton blew a 21 point lead to lose 85 to 21. I can't wear my sweatshirt in town anymore, so I bring it out in Ely. It's really good luck there.

Thanks for the Help. Hans.

DonBo, do you have any post processing software like photoshop or similar program?

If so, once the image is scanned, call it up in your post processing software, size it to 700 or 800 pixels on the long side, save it as a jpeg and then upload it to photobucket.

If you don't have that type of software, you'll probably want to use the scanner's software adjustment to scan it at roughly the size I mentioned and as a jpeg. Then it can be uploaded directly to photobucket.

DonBo, if you want prints made, save them as tif files and at as high a resolution as the scanner allows.

If you just want to post them online, scan them as jpg files at low to medium resolutions, which will keep file sizes down, and then upload them to photobucket and choose the 800x600 sizing option in photobucket.

See how that works for you.

Looks as though I could have saved at a much higher resolution. Tried initially (Tiff) at 2400 dpi, and it seemed it would take an hour to scan. Not as bad with a jpg?

With the scanner, scanning as a jpeg or tif isn't the main factor in how long the scan takes. It's the high resolution that drags things out. Jpg is used for online viewing because it compresses the image data and produces files with less memory. Ultimately, tif is the better format for printing because it doesn't compress the data. Compressing the data isn't important for online viewing but can be for printing, because the more often a jpg is saved and resaved, the less detail over time is retained by that file format.