• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wire insulation damage

mrjigger

While stripping the outer jacket off of 14/2 wire, I accidentally nicked the insulation off the black wire. Can I just put electrical tape around the damage or do I pull the whole wire out and start over? Does code state you can repair wire with electrical tape. I was also thinking of using the shrink tubes. Thanks

Using a shrink tube is a much better fix than electrical tape, it will hold up better over time. But I'm not sure it would pass code. Is it in an area that would be hard to replace? If it is going to be inside the wall, then I would replace it. If it's in a junction box it might be ok.

yes, just a nick. I wrapped it up with 4 or 5 layers of electrical tape. I am leaning on just calling it good with the electrical tape. Plus it is located inside the receptacle box.

I would like to hear what an electrician thinks as well. Thanks.

This gives a good lesson to everyone. I was taught from the very beginning to strip wires on the "white" side.

I agree with using the tape. I'm sure it is done quite often. Nobody makes enough on a house to be pulling wires all back out for a nick.

Your better off stripping romex down the middle, on the bare conductor and then peeling it back and cutting the sheath (it's not insulation) with either a knife or a side cutter. It dosen't give as neat a look but whos going to see it and a house has never burned down from excess sheathing in a box.

Originally Posted By: mnfishinguy
Your better off stripping romex down the middle, on the bare conductor and then peeling it back and cutting the sheath (it's not insulation) with either a knife or a side cutter. It dosen't give as neat a look but whos going to see it and a house has never burned down from excess sheathing in a box.

I used to strip wire this way. Slam the cable (jacket and all) in the box, and then strip the cable down the middle with a utility knife. Pretty darn fast. Then came the new jacket striper for 12/2 and 14/2. Wow! I have wired a ton of apartment buildings with these, and would be lost without them. I still do it the old way with 3 wire cable though.

Originally Posted By: Surface Tension
I do it just like sparkybear.

GB Electrical CR-100 Romex Wire Stripper, best $2 tool I own.

Surface, is that the little metal thingy with the blade in the middle, and you pull it to score the jacket?

If that is the case, that is not what I am talking about. The dealy that I am refering to is basically the same shape as a pair of strippers, just only stippers for #12, and #14 solid wire, as well as two cutters one for 12/2 and one for 14/2. you just crimp it onto the sheath, and it cuts only the sheath, doesn't touch the insulation, even cuts the paper.

klein part # 1412