• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil and antifreeze questions

outdoor ran

Hey guys, quick couple questions. Can a guy get away with putting non brand name injecter oil in a early 90's sled or should a person stay with oil that the brand of the sled is? Also how do you know how much antifreeze should be in the container when its cold. Theres no lines or marks on it. Also can you use just regular antifreeze, mixed half and half? Or do they sell a special antifreeze? Thanks for any advice.

I run Artic Blue oil from Fleet Farm in my sleds.....it's about $12/gallon....if you read the label it's made for all makes....much cheaper than buying the "name" brand stuff.....

They make a special anti freeze for snowmobiles.....I'm not sure what the difference is between that & auto anti freeze....probably something to do with temperature....sleds don't run as high of temp as cars do.......

Not sure about the fill level.....mine both have high & low marks on them....... I would say fill it up.....:)

I use citgo's sea and snow oil in my skidoo MXZ. You can get it at fleet and farm and it is about $12 a gallon compared to $25 to $35 for the skidoo brand. I have had no problems at all. My friends have been using it in their skidoos for five years plus because they were noticing the skidoo oil was dirtying up a lot of the fuel components in their sleds. They switched to the citgo stuff and their problems went away. It's a very clean burning oil and cheap.

As far as antifreeze, I usually make sure I am close to the "full line" or 3/4 full. If you don't have marks, I would take it into a dealer and have them tell you where to fill it at. All brands of sleds have irregular shaped antifreeze containers and you never know where is the safe zone unless there is a full line/fill line.

GoggleEye

reminds of the old commercial,,, "motor oil's motor oil!".

Seriously Arctic Cat isn't an oil company anymore than Polaris is, anymore than Ski-doo is, they build machines.

The only caution I'd say is the newer sleds with the power valves need synthetic but older regular sleds use any good two stroke snowmobile oil as Arctic Cat's isn't different than Polaris' or whatever...

Thanks for the replys guys. I had my wife pick up a gallon of oil yesterday since she was out running errands. She came home with a gallon of Yamalube. Dosen't say for oil injections or tcw3. Just says for 2 stroke engines. This going to work in a 93 ski doo and 93 artic cat with oil injections?

Outdoor, I would think it would be fine, but I have never used yamalube before, so don't take my word for it. My oil that I use in my ski-doo does not state that it is TcW3 either. As long as it is for 2 cycle engines, I would think it is fine. I highly recommend the citgo sea and snow oil though. The stuff is great and is cheap too. Fleet and farm always has the best selection. Good luck.

GE