• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying an ATV

Crickschop04

1) check to make sure the steering is tight-no slop/play.

2) check the underside for dents major scrapes

3) check A-Arms for abuse

4) check oil to make sure there's no water in the oil (it will look milky) and make sure the oil doesn't smell like gas

5) check the air cleaner to make sure it's clean or has been maintained. Is there oil in the bottom of the air box? If so, the machine might have been rolled.

6) check coolant level

7) dents in rims?

8) start it up, listen to the motor for any odd noises

9) make sure the lights work

10) take it for a ride to make sure it handles ok and listen for any odd drive train noises (some belt trannies will make a whining sound)

11) is the stock exhaust still on it

12) do the handlebars look right. The plastic?

Good list LEP.

One thing I heard, maybe it's a wise tail, but I have found it to be true.....While it is running, cover the exhaust outlet with your hand and see how fast it dies. Obviously don't do this if it's hot. If it dies easily, it has been sunk. Like I said this may be a wise tail, but a guy told me this once.

LEP, I got this info from Kurt, who heard it from Cory and Rosebud.

One other thing is to try low range and 4wd before you buy. Some things can be easily fixed, others are more expensive.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
1) check to make sure the steering is tight-no slop/play.

2) check the underside for dents major scrapes

3) check A-Arms for abuse

4) check oil to make sure there's no water in the oil (it will look milky) and make sure the oil doesn't smell like gas

5) check the air cleaner to make sure it's clean or has been maintained. Is there oil in the bottom of the air box? If so, the machine might have been rolled.

6) check coolant level

7) dents in rims?

8) start it up, listen to the motor for any odd noises

9) make sure the lights work

10) take it for a ride to make sure it handles ok and listen for any odd drive train noises (some belt trannies will make a whining sound)

11) is the stock exhaust still on it

12) do the handlebars look right. The plastic?

Everything listed above and CHECK THE RADIATOR. Watch for bent fins or sand/mud. You don't want a machine that's seen excess mud and unmaintained.

if its a auto make sure it goes into gear with out any problems.if it has the push botton 4wd and front locker button push those also to see it makes any noise or what not.other than that i think every 1 else covered every thing.