• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fished at the home lake in Danbury all day Saturday. Originally had plans to hit Yellow in the afternoon but the fishing was just too good. Couldn't sit in the shanty for more than 5 minutes because I kept getting flags. Caught 12 good sized pike, all released. The northerns seemed to prefer shiners over sucker minnows.

Hey guys! I'll be heading up to Yellow later friday. I'm prepared to fish as late as needed to catch some walleye but I'm wondering if there is much of a night-bite here. I've read the stained water keeps the fish active during the day and twilight time. Any info??

Thanks!

Hey crappietastic, welcome! Always happy to have more eyes on Yellow. Walleyes can be had during the day, search the deeper water off the shoreline breaks, 20-24+ FOW. BUT, the time right about sunset till dark is the best. I think the areas between 20+ FOW and maybe like 15-16' are best at this time.

You can catch them later, usually a bit more shallow. For me, when it gets dark, I head to the deepest part of the basin for crappies.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks Donbo!! This is Mike, last falls addition to Log Hollow! I'm staying in the camper friday night and am hoping to get my first Yellow 'eye! Will let you guys know how I do. Not knowing the lake much, I'm going to swallow my pride and buddy up next to the line of shacks :-/

Hey Mike! Glad to have ya here. Pretty excited about getting back on the open water up there. Honestly the icefishing has been pretty poor this year. frown

PM me if you want, I'll tell you what I know.

Well, I'm going up to fish a lake near Yellow tomorrow. As for last weekend, we caught 29 gills all 7"+ and two were 10"+. All of the lakes had 2 1/2' feet of ice or more. But I'll be there tomorrow and I have Monday off from school due to Presidents day and I'll be up and out again than! But until I write back with this long weekends report,

Good Luck!

As an answer I'm just gonna say, think I'm going to take up bowling to get me through the winter. frown

DonBo, I'm in the same boat. Possibly woodworking or bird watching? This is by far the poorest ice fishing season I've ever had. Whether it's the St. Croix or up at Yellow Lake, poor year. Was up at Yellow the past two evenings and managed one tiny walleye. The fish are showing up on the flasher and show interest but just don't bite! Tried just about everything. Earlier in the season, I was cleaning a walleye from Yellow and noticed something in it's stomach so I checked it out. It was the tiniest crappie I had ever seen. Possibly there's a strong class of crappie fry out there and they have abundant feed? The perch and crappies don't even seem to be biting either though. I don't know.

Well, I can say I've been having some good luck on the gills and snakes but not so well on crappies. Even been doing well on walleye. For the past 4 weekends I have been able to take home meals of bluegills and a crappie or two. Even a few eyes sometimes. Got a nw PB pike on yellow. Got it fishing eyes on a jigging rap out of ikes. 41.5".

I am very excited for the late-ice bite. It's also looking like we might actually be able to fish "late-ice" pannies and perch this year because we have so much ice. Last year we fished spirit one weekend and the next weekend the ice was only on half the lake and all black and honey-comed.

So, who has reports from this weekend?

Any reports from the weekend?

I had good success as the weather was on my side. The only thing to watch for is the snow. Most places had 4-7 inches. Also watch for the hard drifts that were there before the snow storm. Almost got stuck a few times.

Note:

/the fish are starting to get aggressive,,,got some nice crappies to day on a Northland blue/purple/pink little jigging spoon and euro larvae/

Any word on Yellow Lake lately? Started off the ice season OK but didn't do very good the last few trips up there. Haven't fished it in a few weeks. Just curious if it's worth the trip. Then again, it doesn't take much of a reason to get me up north grin

thinking of heading up this weekend because of final game fish weekend.hope to spend some time on the flowage and a little pond called lonestar.maybe some time on little yellow as well but dont want to hit yellow at all.just not convinced its worth the time any more....

thinking of heading up this weekend because of final game fish weekend.hope to spend some time on the flowage and a little pond called lonestar.maybe some time on little yellow as well but dont want to hit yellow at all.just not convinced its worth the time any more....

Aint that the truth. It's all part of poor management by the WI DNR and over fishing but, whatever. I hope these "poachers" are happy now with cleaning out our poor yellow lake.

Yeah, it just seems like an off year. Like I said earlier, while cleaning a walleye back in January, I found a tiny crappie in it's stomach. Maybe there's just a bunch of feed down there. Ice fishing last season was great. Released several 20"+ female walleyes.

There ALLOT of people who come frequently to our trailer park on Big Yellow and continually take WAY over there limit of walleyes, crapppies and northerns each year. We have called the game warden numerous times but have yet to get a response.

I think the DNR needs to step up there regulations and REALLY enforce them versus saying whatever. I'm sorry Don, but last summer Yellow sucked for walleye. All we caught on opener was 10-14 inch fish. Which by the way are to small to keep. They will not be able to stop overfishing but you would think they would come out to our calls if they knew he was taking 100+ crappies, 50+ northerns and 40+ walleyes. But whatever. There is still the other species that lake is also known for.

End Rant.

What I'm saying is, this guys has been doing this year after year. Him and everyone else who does this, I hope are happy because they have successfully finished the good walleye bite on yellow unless somethings change.

That's why last winter was good. There was still some decent walleye left. Now as a result of the fishing being good, allot of fish were kept. Thus resulting in a slow summer for them. (granted the heat didn't help much either) Now that's why this winter is so horrible. Not allot of feed, not a bad year, but because the walleye population is down. The WI DNR haven't stocked walleye in Yellow since '08.